Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle > Competitors Corner
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Shooter Highlight (Junior): Chris Burns, Daleville, AL (3-1-14)

Shooter: Chris Burns
School: Daleville High School / Daleville, AL (Wiregrass Conference)
Coach: LTC (Ret) Chris Miller

I started shooting at a young age; 13 years old to be exact. I initially started shooting as part of class my LET* 1 year (Freshman year) in JROTC at Daleville High School. I was in Alpha Company of the Warhawk Battalion. Our SAI* at the time was LTC (Ret) Ralph Aaron. He saw the way I shot and started getting me to go to developmental training. After a few months of shooting, SAI Ralph Aaron put me on the rifle team. My LET 2 year was my first full introduction to the team. They all treated me as family and helped me out. I did not get to shoot in many competitions though because my talents were still developing. My LET 3 year (Junior year) was my main competition year. I became a top 4 member of Team 1 (four shooters make a team). My teammates were Katlyn Bass, Juan Escalante and Jared Nabinger. We maintained a close bond and always trained. That was my first real taste of action and I also started earning medals and EIC* points. By the end of that year, I had already earned 10 EIC points and was proud of it. I am currently in my LET 4 year and it has been amazing. I am the leader of Team 1 and the top shooter from Daleville. We, as a team, have shot in a lot matches and have won many of them and I could not be prouder of my team. I am also proud to say I recently became the 2014 Alabama State Champion. My plans after I graduate high school is to join the United States Marine Corps and become a Marine Scout Sniper. I ship out for boot camp in September 2014. Semper Fidelis!

*LET - Leadership and Education Training
*SAI - Senior Army Instructor
*EIC - Earned in Competition (30 points required to earn Distinguished Air Rifle Badge)

Mike's add: Chris recently finished 3rd in the 2014 JROTC Army Regional Service Championships after climbing into the medal position with an outstanding final. He and his team also took 1st in the Championships. They will be traveling to the Gary Anderson Marksmanship Center at Camp Perry, Ohio in March to compete for the JROTC National Championship.

Follow us on Twitter: @cmpsouthrange
Like us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CMPSouthRange
Google+: CMP South
Join the CMP Forum: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=104
Email us with questions, concerns, ideas: [email protected]

Tags
air rifle, cmp, jrotc, junior, youth