Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2014, 08:06 PM

Default Failure rate table

Heres the failure rate table from the government report:

http://m1903.com/03rcvrfail/t1.jpg

4.3 per 100,000 rifles produced up to 1917.

Double heat treatment started in February 1918
with serial number in the range between 750,000 and 800,000.
The 800,000 number was chosen randomly because the receivers were not heat treated sequencially.

How the heck did this ever become such a well preserved myth.

It's gotten so that shooters just blindly turn their noses up at perfectly good 03's.

I'd like to see the reports of failures of modern day Winchester and Remington rifles. I'd bet it's pretty close or more than these 03's.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 PM

Lyon's table has some flaws in it. Only those rifles recorded by Hatcher are listed.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
Lyon's table has some flaws in it. Only those rifles recorded by Hatcher are listed.
FYI - Which equates to 0.0000412% of the M1903's mfg. before 1918.

But let me say that I have a LN M1903 mfg. in 1909 and it will not be shot again.

Jim
Old 04-02-2014, 10:40 PM

I've always stayed out of the low number failure discussion. But I did come to one startling realization recently which I thought I would pass along.

If it were a given that I had to shoulder and fire an M1903 with a bore obstruction, I would choose a low number over a high number. I'll let you ponder that one for a while.

J.B.

p.s.,

And it has nothing to do with wanting to see what life holds after death.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 AM

If the receiver gives way, then the pressure probably won't shear the bolt lugs and drive the bolt back into the shooters face. If the receiver held together, the pressure would build up and blow the bolt backward into your face.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:47 AM

I think it's interesting that the Krag rifles had no apparent problems as the 1903 did with regard to failures. As far as I have read, the Krag receiver heat treatment method carried over into manufacture of the 1903.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:06 AM

There was a lot more pressure from the 30-06 than the 30-40 Krag. Also the 30-40 case is rimmed and was enclosed within the chamber. The 30-06 was rimless and so had a head That wasn't completely enclosed. Pressure had a chance to blow out the side of the rimless 30-06 head but not the 30-40. It's all of that gas being instantly released into the bolt, magazine well etc at 50,000 psi that creates havock.

Last edited by FredG; 04-03-2014 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
I've always stayed out of the low number failure discussion. But I did come to one startling realization recently which I thought I would pass along.

If it were a given that I had to shoulder and fire an M1903 with a bore obstruction, I would choose a low number over a high number. I'll let you ponder that one for a while.

J.B.
I'll take a swing and speculate that it has to do with the failure modes of a brittle (LN) receiver vs. a more elastic (HN) receiver, and more particularly with the amount of material that might be directed back towards the shooter's face vs. his right hand during a catastrophic failure. Something about trading a hand for an eye, perhaps?

On a related note, I would offer the general observation that assessing the risk of ANY activity is meaningless without assessing the risk of alternatives. Risk is all relative, and as a scientist you have to ask the right question in order to draw any useful conclusions from the data. For example, it is not especially useful to calculate that the failure rate of LN 1903 rifles during WW1 was X.XX blow-ups per million rounds fired. That is the wrong question; in this instance the Right Question would be:
"Given that we will be using a large number of .30-06 service rifles in combat, is the failure rate of LN M1903s statistically different than HN M1903s (or M1917s, or M1 Garands) using the same ammunition under identical conditions?"
Without quantitative knowledge of the alternatives, all we have is a vague discomfort about the only option that we have studied in depth.

Last edited by Peconga; 04-03-2014 at 02:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:19 AM

Ive shot low numbers with light cast bullet loads, other than that, I prefer to keep them as examples of early rifles, part them out, or use them as 22s.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:03 AM