Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 12:58 PM

Default Complete M1 Garand by Jim Thompson

So, was sitting on the train this morning, commuting in, on my Kindle, and decided to do a search on "Garand", and it came back with Jim Thompson's book. For $9.99, I bit the bullet.

For one things, seems quite a bit out of date (refers to DCM, not CMP), and after reading the first 30 pages, seems to slag DCM quite a bit. Also seems quite anti-Winchester (out of spec rifles, basically crap outside of Win 13s).. The overall tone of what I'm reading is negative....

Should I throw in the towel on this one, or continue reading? Anyone have any comments on this book before I continue to waste my time?
Old 06-22-2010, 01:39 PM

I thought it was ok, but way out of date. Would have been a much better book 10 years ago.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Toki, you have to remember that most books on the Garand are obsolete within a year. So much is learned constantly every week about these rifles that it's hard to keep up with.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM

I wasn't impressed.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 PM

I bought that one through Amazon a while back. I know the pics are black and white but you can't see anything. Worst pics ever.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM

Jim Thompson's THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND and THE CLASSIC M1 GARAND are both sittin' on my bookshelf...haven't opened 'em since reading 'em (except once in awhile) in the last ten years...

Last edited by DDRode; 06-24-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:50 PM

Default Complete M1 Garand by Jim Thompson

The pics are black and white, but the book is full of hands on knowledge. To be fair, it is almost a dozen years old, and seems to be written with the shooter instead of the collector in mind. I especially enjoyed the section taken from the national match manual in the center of the book.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:58 AM

Actually, if the version of the book you have doesn't mention prominently in the text the changeover from the DCM to the CMP, you've got a rarity, one of the first 250 printed. Also, there are some typos in the loading section that flowed from someone skipping a line of copy. Those, fortunately, were identified very early, and that did get changed swiftly!

The books were actually complete by about '93.

Neither of my books was ever intended to be an industrial history. They're PRACTICAL histories, and discuss the marketplace, the Italian rifles, import markings, and other matters industrial histories never even approach. The world is FULL of industrial histories of the Garand, and more have been added in the last 18 months. I was intentionally AVOIDING that kind of "on Tuesday they made this one" data. And by the way, the copyright dates are some six years after the books were written. There have been several small updates and the reproduction slightly enhanced since then, although I've been trying to get some mixed up photo captions changed for about ten years...they aren't WRONG, mind you, except one that was ONLY in the first 250 books printed, but only one photo of a grouping, often comprising as many as a half dozen photos, was used, and the "blanket" caption doesn't quite fit. Yet, that's the one that got used. The photos are better handled in the next book, where the editor actually used the versions I had marked for actual use.

There have been six very major updates/revisions in the intervening years, and roughly twenty small alteration
packages, from address changes to eliminations of typographical errors. Many photos have been replaced.

Also, about 2009, there were many defective books released suffering from what seems to have been overinking.

There's a brand new cover ca.2015, which unfortunately none of the online retailers saw fit to use.

Originally, the CLASSIC M1 GARAND and COMPLETE M1 GARAND, along with more manual materials, were to be a single book for about $50, with some laminated pages designed to be cut out and rolled up into a Garand butt well. The publisher--I think wisely--took another tack. And the laminated mini-manual would've raised the price another few bucks. I still rather like the idea, but it's another project no one will ever do.

The trouble shooting manual, the import rifle discussions, and much of the reloading data comprise the first such items to be included with smatterings of collector information.

The National Match/accuracy section includes notes from Roberts, a lot of working 'smiths and amorers,
and some world class shooters as a preface. The idea was to upgrade the GI work with more modern
information, and that got done. In fact, some of the concepts developed and discussed--molycoated
bullets, more detail free floating, epoxy bedding, and others--still virtually never appear in the rifle's
literature.

Those who observe that my work is more often from a shooter's point of view are correct. However, the very first Winchester is in the book, too. So is a gas trap, and so are rifles made and used abroad.

Most of the input on the status of Winchester and many other functional and production concerns came from 'smiths and armorers. I hasten to add, however, most of the experienced shooters and collectors confirmed those impressions, and I was shown thousands of specimens. And I have been a Garand owner and shooter since 1963.

Another point laboriously and conspicuously absent in some other texts: I included the Italian rifles, and discussed foreign use in general.

In short, the idea was to treat the real M1 Garand, as it is used and enjoyed, and to provide a lot of consumer information that rarely, if ever, appears in what passes for the "firearms press".

It is unlikely Paladin will participate in much further updating.

UPDATE September 23rd, 2017: Paladin is ceasing ALL publications operations at the end of this year!!

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 09-23-2017 at 01:30 PM. Reason: demise of Paladin press
Old 06-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Hey Jim I would like to say that I enjoyed your books very much and appreciate that they were written from a shooters point of view as that is what I am.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM

Ditto Jim....Its my first and only M1 book and I use it regularly. I enjoy it very much!