Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks. And by the by, I tried to make sure I included bits and pieces of collecting info not in the other texts as well, including some help on identifying chicanery in parts marking, fakes, etc., etc. It'd be fun to revisit that area in a magazine article or book update some day, but of course, that will never happen.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:37 PM

I own both of Mr. Thompson's books, have read them cover to cover and learned plenty. There's more to a book than just pretty color pictures.

I appreciate his efforts, his passion for the shooting sports and mostly for his contributions in regard to the battle rifle we all hold so dear. And I might also add that he has contributed far more to the M1 garand community than most of us on this forum, myself included.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthompson502002 View Post
Actually, if the version of the book you have doesn't mention the changeover from the DCM to the CMP, you've got a rarity, one of the first 250 printed. Also, there are some typos in the loading section that flowed from someone skipping a line of copy. Those, fortunately, were identified very early, and that did get changed swiftly!

The books were actually complete by about '93.

Neither of my books was ever intended to be an industrial history. That's been done many times before. And by the way, the copyright dates are some six years after the books were written. There have been several small updates and the reproduction slightly enhanced since then, although I've been trying to get some mixed up photo captions changed for about ten years...they aren't WRONG, mind you, except one that was ONLY in the first 250 books printed, but only one photo of a grouping, often comprising as many as a half dozen photos, was used, and the "blanket" caption doesn't quite fit. Yet, that's the one that got used. The photos are better handled in the next book, where the editor actually used the versions I had marked for actual use.

Originally, the CLASSIC M1 GARAND and COMPLETE M1 GARAND, along with more manual materials, were to be a single book for about $50, with some laminated pages designed to be cut out and rolled up into a Garand butt well. The publisher--I think wisely--took another tack. And the laminated mini-manual would've raised the price another few bucks. I still rather like the idea, but it's another project no one will ever do.

The trouble shooting manual, the import rifle discussions, and much of the reloading data comprise the first such items to be included with smatterings of collector information.

The National Match/accuracy section includes notes from Roberts, a lot of working 'smiths and amorers,
and some world class shooters as a preface. The idea was to upgrade the GI work with more modern
information, and that got done. In fact, some of the concepts developed and discussed--molycoated
bullets, more detail free floating, epoxy bedding, and others--still virtually never appear in the rifle's
literature.

Those who observe that my work is more often from a shooter's point of view are correct. However, the very first Winchester is in the book, too. So is a gas trap, and so are rifles made and used abroad.

Most of the input on the status of Winchester and many other functional and production concerns came from 'smiths and armorers. I hasten to add, however, most of the experienced shooters and collectors confirmed those impressions, and I was shown thousands of specimens. And I have been a Garand owner and shooter since 1963.

Another point skipped in some other texts: I included the Italian rifles, and discussed foreign use in general.

In short, the idea was to treat the real M1 Garand, as it is used and enjoyed, and to provide a lot of consumer information that rarely, if ever, appears in what passes for the "firearms press".

It is unlikely Paladin will participate in much further updating.
Jim, I'm not slagging anything. It's just a little out of date. Actually, this is the version you get when you purchase for the Kindle Reader, and I think you should contact Amazon to have it updated, if possible. On the Kindle, the charts and pics are not good and unreadable. They should convert them to text where they can.

Last edited by TokiWartooth; 06-24-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:49 PM

My wife got it for me for Christmas.
Good book overall.
Ya you could pick it to death. But if you wrote a book today. Someone could do the same thing latter.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Jim,
I have your book and enjoyed the reading. One of the first books that I broke down and bought.

Thanks for being here on the forum!

Facebook link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/M1-Col...57812424283175

Affiliated with the CMP and NRA
Old 06-24-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH53Gunner View Post
Jim,
I have your book and enjoyed the reading. One of the first books that I broke down and bought.

Thanks for being here on the forum!

Me too. Even have mine signed by Jim.

I don't think ANYONE else has published any info on the PB and BMR rifles. Jim is the only author I've seen that spends any time on these.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:15 PM

Any updating would have to come from Paladin. And a friend looked it up. What's on there is, apparently, indeed, from the very first printing, back around 1998. Amazon has no deal with me, and I am sure I make nothing from that sort of lashup. Those who have more recent editions and the opportunity to compare will notice that the printings have continuously improved, although only very, very few of the 200 or so updated captions and changes I sent since 2002 has ever been used. Publishers do these things at their convenience. In case someone wonders, the versions of prints they used in the first print were largely the "guide" prints I included with captions attached, never intended to be used IN THE BOOK.

But what's being used there is apparently the oldest extant version.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM

Just got the first chance in a long time to view the very FIRST
edition/printing of THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND, and lo and behold, it did
indeed contain, on page 1x, the very FIRST introductory page,
as a footnote, well BEFORE the first chapter, the below:

"1. What used to be the U.S. Army's DCM (Department of Civilian
Marksmanship) has been dissolved, replaced by what is basically
a private corporation called the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship
Program). Under that umbrella, M1's may go up in price as high
as $400 or higher, but will continue to be available. Various
auctions, etc., and programs for other firearms may be instituted.
The various freezes in the program(s) appear to be over, though it
is now more important than ever for the Garand buff to keep a close
eye on the system."

Paladin deleted or incorporated my other footnotes, but I did not
clearly recall what must've been a last minute change until today!

When I wrote that, this was all quite new. And the book from
which I copied that was one I gave away to a friend from the very
first printing!

So it--mention of the CMP--was in the book long even
before I remembered. Why it wouldn't be in a "Kindle" version...
or even if it is absent...I have not the vaguest idea.

Also, there seems to be an inference in some of this that it would've
been valid to conceal, soften, or cover up some of the statements
made by "old salts" like Jake, which in fact were, if anything,
understatements when referring to the smear campaign against the
Garand and some aspects of certain manufacturers. That kind of
fraudulent propaganda hog wash--the editing out of valid critique
and correct information, that is, in favor of whatever commercial
interests are paying for advertising, no matter how corrupt--has
no place in any kind of literature except advertising handbills.
Soft pedaling the information I got would've been not merely
dishonest, it would've been criminally irresponsible. Moreover,
I've not noticed any disagreement from valid historians or
students of the rifle.

I have no idea what a "Kindle" even looks like, or how Amazon
might edit what goes on there, nor am I even interested. I
have no access, no conversations of any kind with Amazon,
no way to input or change anything. But theirs (based on
information gleaned from friends) does appear
to be weirdly edited and very outdated. I do
know the pictures in the book have been upgraded, albeit
Paladin has never upgraded most of the captions. But apparently
there's something wrong with something that is beyond my
capacity to fix.

It was my intention NOT to produce an industrial history, which has been done to death
before, and to present something from the perspective of the shooter, the 'smith/armorer,
and the infantryman, and even to include the reloader. Industrial histories, frankly,
bore me to death, and I was far more interested in the sources of exaggerated and
fraudulent statements about the Garand in the early days, and I found them. It wasn't
even difficult. It's called "vested interests".

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 07-25-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:13 PM

I have not read the book in question nor any of the authors work so I really can't comment on the OP's question. I just want to point out something I found, um, interesting in this thread. Please understand this is my own subjective impression and I mean no disrespect to any of the posters in this thread.

The OP started out sounding somewhat dissatisfied with the product he purchased and asked for advice on whether or not he should invest further time to finish reading it. I believe this set the tone for what followed.

On the first page there were 3 neutral replies, 2 negative replies and one reply in support of the product. Then the author of the product in question chimed in and the whole feel of the thread changed.

After that first post by the author we had only one more negative response and seven, count 'em, 7 positive responses supportive of the author and his work with no responses that I would consider neutral or ambiguous in nature.

I find it very interesting to see how the course of the discussion could take such a dramatic turn when the author shows up to defend his work and I wonder just what that says about people in general.

Again, no disrespect intended toward anyone; I'm just making an observation. Please, carry on.

Airborne
B Co, 1/509 ABCT Vicenza Italy, '74-'76
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

http://calgunsfoundation.org/amazon/...hop42a.jpg</a>
25+ 100% positive feedbacks
Old 07-25-2010, 08:53 PM

Don't know what it says about people in general, maybe everyone who read the author's response just understood it a little better then and there were fewer questions. I have one of the first ones published and I have read it so many times, it is getting quite frayed around the corners. I have done reviews on books for several publishers over the last 10 or 15 years and I know what goes into a revision. It can be a daunting project especially if it involves a lot of updated information and pictures.
Having read a lot of your stuff Jim, I do applaud you in your efforts to bring some information to the shooting community. The book in question I thought was a good book and the only thing I wished was different were the pictures, colored ones would be a lot prettier, but again I understand the cost involved and if you can get a point across with a black and white picture then why go through the expense of a colored one. Maybe I am a bit old fashioned but I remember quite well when the pictures in books were all in black and white, that is if they even had pictures.
In summary, thanks Jim for transmitting some good information about the M1 and different aspects of collecting, shooting, reloading, etc.
You obviously did spend considerable time and effort, not to mention the financial cost, in researching this great rifle. I wish I knew you personally and we could go to the range and fire off a few rounds. I always enjoy visiting with and shooting with Garand collectors and shooters.
Have a good one and keep up the good work.