Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Paladin doesn't do "inside color", and back then, they didn't even do color covers.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:27 PM

FYI.

I've read Jim's book "cover to cover" (well, on a Kindle, anyway). The book isn't really designed for an electronic reader, but the price was right ($9). The main issue was trying to tie Jim's comments to the attached pics, but the pics (the Kindle is b/w, and not designed for images) are very hard to discern, and the book's "approach" tends to be Jim stating his comments and confirming them based on the pics in the book. Very, very hard on the electronic reader. It was my first foray into this type of book on the Kindle.

In the end, I did enjoy the book. I kept it in perspective after Jim told me it was an older revision.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Well, as I said earlier, Garand data changes so quickly anymore it's hard for a reference book to be relevant one year after printing. But,this thread has 'Kindled'(HaHa) my interest. I'll have to search out on of Jim's Tomes and purchase it. Obviously, it's from a different slant and should be much better reading.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:03 PM

Figured, as long as this thread discussed "updates", I should mention, in the last month or so, versions of both volumes with improved graphics, a few clarified captions, and a tad more data are now in inventory and in print.

Most of this was stuff that "fell through the cracks" when the project was changed from one rather large volume to a pair of paperbacks.

No interior color, and probably never will be. And I still have almost no information on the Kindle version.

Next printing, the greasing chart will probably reapparear, albeit frankly, with the lube points all in the edited Beretta manual, mentioned again elsewhere, and the use of grease stressed repeatedly, it is being reintroduced largely because of a hostile review of which I was reminded.

And there are more notes on the Beretta/Winchester parts whcih I was beginning to identify by 1998. Yes, those narrow profile gas cylinders marked "PB", as well as the milled trigger guards, are indeed part of the U.S. shipment to Italy, and yes, Winchester is their "original manufacturer". And now it is unanimous: Neither Breda nor Beretta used the legendary but largely fictional Wincheser "machines" as anything but a template for constructing their much more modern tooling. These things were all in hand early on, but again, "fell through the cracks". There is now, by the way, much more corroboration.

And again, I never intended them to be industrial histories, albeit they can supplement such volumes.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 PM

Jim,

Is Leroy Thompson any relation?

I went onto Amazon to look for the new editions, and one of the items that popped up was The M1 Garand by Leroy Thompson, due out 22 May 2012.

Oh, and your new editions aren't there yet, unfortunately.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to JumpingJackFlash Send a message via Yahoo to JumpingJackFlash

Well... I myself will finally be the happy owner of my first M1 Garand in the next few days. It will be an HRA SG. I had just missed the last batch before they went off the sales page, so I'm really looking forward to it. As such, I will be looking to get some relevant books. I will look into perhaps getting a copy of your most recent printing.

As many said previously, it's cool that you actively participate in the forum. Not everyone gets the privilege to talk directly to authors.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:30 AM

No LeRoy Thompson I am aware of. But then my old man's side of the family is kind of fragmented--in that they pretty much hated each other.

The new edition won't be announced except in here. They don't want to inhibit sales of extant inventory.

Amazon and B&N won't even notice or, probably, know, let alone note the differences.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 AM

Jim:

When is the updated version to be available?

B&N and Amazon show only the 1998 and 2001 versions in print, with a 2010 Kindle edition.

Do you sell them directly on e-bay?

John
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM

As noted, none of the big vendors will announce ANYTHING. And the 1998 and 2001 dates are introduction dates. It is not in their financial interest to note updates, nor does any other vendor.

I do absolutely nothing on EBAY, and never will. ( UPDATE: After a long absence, in order to help with the sale of an estate with LOTS of camera equipment and optics, I went back on EBAY. I am still there, and as of now, do sell book sets there. However, getting one direct through me, here, is slicker and cleaner.) I do have setups on AuctionArms and GunBroker.

The only Kindle version with which I am familiar is a spinoff of the original 1998 printing of THE COMPLETE M1 GARAND, as discussed elsewhere in this thread. Printings do NOT change the copyright date, they are two entirely separate matters. In short, any Kindle version of which I know is now 14 years out of date, unless it has been changed. And again, no vendor/business will announce revisions or printings, for very obvious reasons already discussed.

Last edited by jimthompson502002; 06-21-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: update
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM

On the latest ones, the front sight width chart has been reintroduced, and I suspect they're going to FINALLY get the "grease points" in a sidebar in the manual area.