Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 AM

Default Planes, planes, planes!!!

I know that we have a bunch of us here who love stories about aircraft. So, I am starting by posting quite a few pics and stories about the planes my best friend and shooting buddy both worked on and and flew. I'll let him tell the stories and pick the pics.
A few years ago I digitized around 16,000 pics of his planes, motorcycles and a great many others of his life. I have 1291 pics of the planes and I believe there were more but this is a good start.
I'll start with one of his favorites, a T-6 named "Dress Blues". Here is his intro, as he wrote it.
Here is a pic of Bob and his wife, who got to fly with him, and others.

"J.R.
I would be more than happy to provide your forum friends with more info on our museum aircraft. That’s the easy part, with the hard part being giving you a little of my personal background.
As you already know, I’ve been a mechanically inclined since about age 14, and was then fortunate enough to add an Aeronautical Engineering degree right after my 4 yr. stint in the Air Force. The early interest in machines also led me to start flying when I was 15, a hobby that was pursued with gusto for another 50 years. The highlight of my aviation experiences came when my employer asked me to develop and run an aviation museum dedicated primarily to WWII aircraft, with a brief foray into equipment from the Korean and Vietnam era.

It started with 1 aircraft and within about 18 months we had 45 aircraft, 25 of which were kept in flying condition to support the local airshow circuit, and the remaining project aircraft lined up to get into our restoration hanger. The ability to spend 7 days a week working on, and flying, old aircraft – and getting paid for it – was more than anyone with my background could ever hope for. At least once every week I’d look through all 13 crowded hangers, pinch myself, and mutter under my breath, “these are the good old days”. They truly were, and I was fortunate enough to realize it at the time, and to take maximum advantage of all the opportunities placed before me.
Now on to the two aircraft you asked about. We had several T-6 style aircraft pass thru the museum, most were used as trainers or company pickup trucks, but “Dress Blues” was the owner’s favorite and personal aircraft. It is a T-6 variant known as a Navy model SNJ-5, painted in the scheme of an aircraft once stationed at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba as noted by the GTMO BAY on the rudder.

Most aviation buffs will immediately notice the 3 blade prop and cry “foul”, insisting that the original T-6’s all had 2 blades. Very true, but this specific aircraft was heavily modified back in 1970 to take part in the film “Tora, Tora, Tora where it was flown as a Japanese aircraft. After the film it was put back into original condition by exchanging most of the added visual components, however the owner at that time decided to keep the modified engine with its added heavier gear reduction nose case and its slower turning 3 bladed prop, the idea being that the increased blade area increased to rate of climb. It was the same as running a car in a lower gear to climb a hill. We found it to be a crowd pleaser at airshows and small town pancake breakfast fly-ins because it always drew heated discussions on how many prop blades it should have.
Next installment, an Albatross HU-16.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 06-07-2016, 01:25 PM

Love the pictures and stories. Keep 'em coming!

Tinpig
Old 06-07-2016, 02:37 PM

American industrial art.
Take a real close look at a Spitfire and then a P51. The spit is cobby and unfinished, the Mustang is perfect. That's the difference, perfection vs make do. No incompatible metals, all parts finished if need be, $72K worth of the best in the world.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
American industrial art.
Take a real close look at a Spitfire and then a P51. The spit is cobby and unfinished, the Mustang is perfect. That's the difference, perfection vs make do. No incompatible metals, all parts finished if need be, $72K worth of the best in the world.
Sorry Dave, I don't get your point. Please explain.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 06-07-2016, 08:29 PM

That SNJ with the 3-bladed prop... I bet my grandfather, Jack Canary was the one that modified it. He led the conversion of the aircraft for Tora Tora Tora and ultimately died after crashing one of them on a ferry flight. His name is first on the beginning credits to that movie.

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds...tora-tora.html
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Thanks bozmt for that link. It was a very good read.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.2009 View Post
Sorry Dave, I don't get your point. Please explain.
The point is that the American made aircraft were well made and well finished with no corners cut even in the darkest days of WW2.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
The point is that the American made aircraft were well made and well finished with no corners cut even in the darkest days of WW2.
OK, if you say so. LOL, just don't tell the Brits that!! I think they will think their planes were just as well made.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 PM

U.S. Factories had the bonus of not being in a warzone. Additionally the Mustang didn't become THE Mustang until mated with the Rolls-Royce Merlin.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDTkeld View Post
U.S. Factories had the bonus of not being in a warzone. Additionally the Mustang didn't become THE Mustang until mated with the Rolls-Royce Merlin.
Uh, that is the Packard Merlin thank you. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packard_V-1650_Merlin