Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 11:44 AM

My first PCS was to the 431 AREFS at Biggs AFB in El Paso, TX. We flew the KB50J tanker. With it's four R4360 and two J47's they always got off the ground... The 431st was one of the last Tactical Air refueling Squadrons in the Air Force. When we shut it down in 1965 the last plane went to Wright-Patterson and the rest to the bone yard. It always looked like WWII on our flight line.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM

Here are some video of very expensive fireworks.

http://worldwarwings.com/spacex-decl...m_medium=email

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-09-2017, 08:32 AM

Just got an e-mail from Bob. I think the BAC 167 Strikemaster was one of his favorites. For those who didn't start the thread from the beginning you might need to start there. He had a lot to say about the plane and how many the company, AmJet, owned and sold planes and parts all over the world.
This is a short video but at the end there will be more on the plane.

Here is his e-mail.

https://youtu.be/lU5c3WmnHMQ

This is what it was like to fly our BAC 167 Stikemaster - truly a magic carpet ride.
B

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-09-2017, 04:35 PM

That Strikemaster looks like a simple straight wing easy-to-fly airplane. I call that fun! In a vague sort of way it resembles the T-37 which was also a fun airplane to fly.

Last edited by grumpa72; 10-11-2017 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-09-2017, 05:07 PM

My first unit out of tech school as an Aircrew Life Supoort Technician was the 27th Tactical Air Support Squadron, 602nd Tactical Air Control Wing who flew OV-10A Broncos. It was weird to me a prop plane with ejection seats, and due to the fact my dad worked fighters his entire 26 year career.

Wow talk about a ride, got a few incentive flights in them. Whoever knew a prop plane could do the things the OV-10 did, kind of like WWII prop fighters. Still have a soft spot for the good old Bronco.
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 10-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Brown View Post
My first PCS was to the 431 AREFS at Biggs AFB in El Paso, TX. We flew the KB50J tanker. With it's four R4360 and two J47's they always got off the ground... The 431st was one of the last Tactical Air refueling Squadrons in the Air Force. When we shut it down in 1965 the last plane went to Wright-Patterson and the rest to the bone yard. It always looked like WWII on our flight line.
Never flew in a tanker but did fly in the commercial version, the Boeing 377.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v92U2F9gbUo
Yes, they were fairly new back then and the 707 hadn't even flown yet.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Sarge View Post
It was weird to me a prop plane with ejection seats . . .
USAF A-1s and T-28s had the Yankee ejection system.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 10-10-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
USAF A-1s and T-28s had the Yankee ejection system.
True, didn't know these things until after I came into the AF, although my dad was career AF he spent his career in jets, so I never gave much thought to prop planes at the time.

The OV-10 had a Rockwell International Ejection system. Been almost 30 years since I worked on that seat, just thinking about it and I just went through the chute and survival kit installation procedures in my mind. Weird how you never forget some things!
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Last edited by USAF Sarge; 10-10-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 AM

Another German bomber that was a no go in the long run. One thing about them, they had a number of good ideas that failed because Hitler got involved.

http://worldwarwings.com/heinkel-177...ontent=bombers

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-18-2017, 09:51 PM

About 8/46 my Dad bought three US Army Surplus airplanes at a Military Surplus Depot. near Norfolk, Va. All three were Brand New in Crates, all were about 2-4 years old at the time. All three were purchased for $450.00 each.

Dad and my Uncle went down and uncrated and assembled all three. They had the help of two other friends. The first which was ready to fly home was a PT-19, after returning by train the 2nd airplane was assembled and ready for test flight. That was a L2-B (Taylor Craft DCO-65). All of the team remained there until the 3rd airplane was assembled. It was a V-77 Stinson Gullwing. It was then that all four team members flew home (near Baltimore, Md.) . Two in the T-Craft and two in the V-77 Stinson, which also had on-board a canned/Continial 65 H Engine as well as a New 300 HP Lycoming Engine ($20.00 for each Engine), for the Stinson for the trip home..

All the aircraft were used for training, sport and charter service. The PT-19 fell victim to the middle wing structural issues common to the design and times. Ultimately it was parted out.

The V-77 Stinson continued in service as a charter aircraft until about 1954 when it was sold due my parents divorce.

Dad retained the T-Craft L2B in varying conditions of flyable, storage, re-built flying and then parked, neglected. I retrieved he TCraft and totaled rebuilt it in 1976.Building wooden wings is quite a chore.

Before my Dad died we checked the "N" number on the V-77 Stinson. It was still registered and flying Last sale price was in $80.000 range.

The 1943 T-Craft L2-B..? Well I sold it in 1987. Did 't have much choice with a growing family. Dad and I went to many airshows in that T-Craft. When folks came up to him sitting in his camp chair in the shade of that T-Craft wing, they ask' is this your airplane? He would always answer "Yes, but for the time being I'm loaning it to my Son"