Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2017, 08:33 PM

Default Rulebook- Quad Rail, why picitinny at 3,6,9 & 12?

2017 Service Rifle Rulebook, Page 33 spells out that if you have a Quadrail, it must have full length pictinny rails at the 12, 3, 6 & 9 o'clock positions.

This was added or changed in 2017 as it's underlined. The CMP public position has been that if something can provide a competitive advantage, they'll look at it and likely put some rules around it to negate the advantage. Does anyone know how having Full length rails every 90 degrees negates some type of advantage that a quadrail might offer?

Just doesn't make sense to me. I can see a full p-rail on top being required and perhaps some length p-rail on the bottom, but does the full length 3 & 9:00 p-rails make any difference?

Thx.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 AM

I dont think its about the rail it's self. its about uniformity. it keeps everyone on the same playing field so to speak, it keeps all the rifles at a base set of standards.
That would be my thoughts..
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 AM

I don't pretend to understand some of the rules, well alot of the rules.

But.......... maybe............ the typical rail system in use by the Army has all four so for appearance sake............. all four it is.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:47 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post

But.......... maybe............ the typical rail system in use by the Army has all four so for appearance sake............. all four it is.
Right. Just like the Nightforce, March and other scopes.
Mike B
Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 AM

Hey I did start by saying............... "I don't pretend to understand some of the rules, well alot of the rules............."

So my guess is the visual argument to this............. but I'm not the CMP.............
Old 07-13-2017, 03:26 PM

I emailed a detailed request to the rules committee a few weeks ago. If I ever get a response I will post it here, along with the request.
Old 07-13-2017, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeet6 View Post
Right. Just like the Nightforce, March and other scopes.
Mike B
Let's not forget the UBR stock.....

The "service" in service rifle and pistol has sailed.

Last edited by missilegeek; 07-13-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post

This captures the situation on rules perfectly !

This entire situation is the Rules Committee obtuse rule making and changing Service Rifle rules. Now we have everything that is hardly a "service" rifle competing and folks squabbling over rails, hand grips, stocks , scopes etc etc.

This is not a Service Rifle match, its a scope rifle match. Wonder if the next fore arm question is Key Mod vs M Lok vs 3/6/9/12 rails....does Key mod / M Lok constitute "rails".

I wish CMP had not gone down this road, had anticipated second and third order effects. Makes me wonder if that committee has shooters on it or just office drones.

I am old enough to know if you out shoot me, its not because of the "rails" on the fore arm, the pistol grip, the stock design, the charging handle, the dust cover etc etc.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
This entire situation is the Rules Committee obtuse rule making and changing Service Rifle rules. Now we have everything that is hardly a "service" rifle competing and folks squabbling over rails, hand grips, stocks , scopes etc etc.

I wish CMP had not gone down this road...
I don't really have a problem with the new rules, if anything they made it possible for me and others with eyes incapable of running a2 sights to participate. The other bits like rails and scopes are widely available, if the game is taken over by niche gear it becomes a lot harder to get people to participate.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merick View Post
I don't really have a problem with the new rules, if anything they made it possible for me and others with eyes incapable of running a2 sights to participate. The other bits like rails and scopes are widely available, if the game is taken over by niche gear it becomes a lot harder to get people to participate.
I have no issue with optics. They are currently used on real service rifles. However, as milprileb stated, things have gotten a little funky with the emphasis on incidental hardware. I also wonder about the wisdom of allowing such a wide range of optics. I certainly agree that if it is an issue optical sight (ACOG, M68, Elcan DR, etc.), it should be allowed. However, what about other types of non-issue optics? Most everyone using optics for competition uses non-issue optics. There is a reason for that - issue optics aren't as good for precision shooting. I honestly don't know what is right in this regard.