Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2017, 10:52 PM

Default 8mm Turkish Mauser in Vintage Military

I have an 8mm Turkish Match Mauser I want to compete with. Has anyone had any experience competing with this weapon? The rear sight sucks with just an adjustable little notch in the rear notch. Any competition legal recommended replacements?

V/R,

Roger
Old 06-17-2017, 07:09 AM

Never used a Turkish Mauser for such shooting. Have used normal type German K-98's. Recoil w/ issue ammo can be interesting. Wearing a heavy coat, it's workable. Sling is not so helpful compared to the 1907 on a Springfield. With the right load, I could keep my shots very nicely centered on the SR-1. Use soot to blacken the rear and front sight. If you can get a replacement front sight, then use it for shooting. Take a file and give it a good clean profile. This will certainly help with the sight picture. Due to it being a open rear sight, you will likely get a bit of vertical stringing. My best results came using the 6 0'clock hold. To easy to lose the front sight in the black of the bullseye using a center hold. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:02 AM

Why won't a 1907 sling work? I've got a heavy, so no problem there! I I will look at filing the front site, but I think my problem is the rear site. Is there another as issued rear site I could install? Thanks for all your help!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 01:10 PM

My grandfather fought the Turks at Gallipoli in WWI. If I was to touch a Turkish Mauser, he'd raise up from the dead and kick my tail.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipesrule View Post
Why won't a 1907 sling work? I've got a heavy, so no problem there! I I will look at filing the front site, but I think my problem is the rear site. Is there another as issued rear site I could install? Thanks for all your help!!!
The 1907 sling will work on the Turk Mauser. You'll have to have a sticky glove or a way to grip up on the stock due to the swivel being so far forward. Good luck and let us know how it works out. Might just take mine out and giver a try.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 PM

You absolutely can shoot with a Turk. It is difficult, but doable, I shot a silver pin with one several years ago using 1944 occupied CZ ammo. I was using a "Garand" web sling. I find them to work better than M1907 with the far forward sling swivel on the long Mausers and Swiss G-11.

There's not much you can do with the rear sight. I think the front can be replaced with a blade style from a Swedish M96. They are available in different heights. No longer have my Turk to compare the dovetail sizes. Might require some file work or shimming.

Your best bet overall would be to obtain a Swiss long rifle or Swedish M96 with a good bore before they get any more expensive.
Old 07-09-2017, 04:00 AM

Too late on a nice Swede for cheap..the Swiss 96/11 still a value

CMP Match Chairman

NRA Highpower Rifle Chairman

Indoor Small Bore Rifle Chairman

NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Chief Range Officer