Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 03:37 PM

Default USAMU AR-15 rifles used in matches

Does anyone know if they've ever posted a list of which components they use in their builds? Or know of anyone who would be privy to that knowledge?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:48 PM

pretty much the same as everyone else. Krieger barrels, Giessele triggers, MK7 rails, Nightforce scopes and Mil-Spec everything else.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydabney View Post
pretty much the same as everyone else. Krieger barrels, Giessele triggers, MK7 rails, Nightforce scopes and Mil-Spec everything else.
This would've been a while back. The particular rifle I'm looking at is an A2 with Krieger barrel, MK2 Krieger trigger, neat lead weight in foil in the buttstock, on a Colt HBAR pre-ban lower.
Old 06-22-2017, 03:53 PM

so what components are you looking to figure out?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martydabney View Post
so what components are you looking to figure out?
Sights and upper, along with anything else that might tip it off as an USAMU gun. Certain color of marker used by their smiths to mark their zeros in certain years, tape on the trigger guard, how they marked the triggers, if they marked them at all, with an electro pencil...stuff like that.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:38 PM

Just my wag here but..................

Aren't the US ARMY MARKSMANSHIP rifles owned by the govt?

So someone is offering you a stolen rifle?

And you are posting in public questions about how to verify its' status..........

Ok........... interesting.............

Last edited by Gewehr43; 06-22-2017 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
Just my wag here but..................

Aren't the US ARMY MARKSMANSHIP rifles owned by the govt?
I would speculate that they were at some point, but I have no idea what their procedure is for when the team moves to new equipment. Perhaps they offer the team members the chance to buy them? If someone knows for certain what the procedure is, that would be good information to have.

Quote:
So someone is offering you a stolen rifle?
I sincerely doubt that any of the military marksmanship teams or a gentleman that managed EIC matches that included those teams for decades would risk jail-time by doing something illegal. Maybe the person in charge of the Unit ok'd it as a gift for graciously hosting the team over the years, who knows.

Quote:
And you are posting in public questions about how to verify it's status..........
Yes, because I figured that this would be a good place to find people who might be able to shed some light on the rifle's background beyond what I already know.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:11 PM

Cool........... ok so you know the guy you bought this from.......... since he's with the AMU, can't he verify the rifle for you?

There is a saying.........."Buy the rifle, not the story."

I'm not sure what your interest is the rifle but either get some proof of this story or pay whatever a used A2 match- conditioned AR is running.

The AMU members, if they won anything shooting, are known. The seller should pop up with a google search................

Hope it helps.............

PS............... is it possible the owner of the rifle is telling you a line just to get more money from you?

Last edited by Gewehr43; 06-22-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Cool........... ok so you know the guy you bought this from.......... since he's with the AMU, can't he verify the rifle for you?

There is an saying.........."Buy the rifle, not the story."

I'm not sure what your interest is the rifle but either get some proof of this story or pay whatever a used A2 match- conditioned AR is running.

The AMU members, if they won anything shooting, are known. The seller should pop up with a google search................

Hope it helps.............

PS............... is it possible the owner of the rifle is telling you a line just to get more money from you?
The gentleman that previously owned the rifle has passed away. I acquired the rifle at auction because it sold for less than what pre-ban Colt HBAR lowers are currently selling for, nevermind the additional expensive bits. I knew the man prior to his passing through rifle clinics/matches and events, but he had been sick recently and I had moved on from match shooting due to other things taking priority in my life, so I didn't have the opportunity to ask him about this particular gun before he passed.

It being a USAMU rifle is speculation on my part based on a variety of factors. Call it a hunch if you want to. That said, I have no idea which member he would've purchased this from, if it is even a USAMU rifle in the first place. That's the first thing I'd like to establish before I start digging into the rest of the rifle's background.

It may very well end up being "just" a nice used match rifle that I got a deal on. I'd be fine with that, but I'd like to explore the possibility of it having a military pedigree, just like anyone on here would for a 1903, Garand, etc.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:27 PM

Old guns (like obsolete running boar Olympic rifles, etc.) have been donated by AMU to the CMP, but it seems unlikely to me that you'd see a modern rifle leave AMU.

Often, military armorers retire and build the exact same guns that they built for the military teams. For instance, you can buy Gene Clark complete uppers at Creedmoor Sports, so in effect you could legally get what AMU had. You can also get an accurized M9 from David Sams built the same way he did at AMU.

Also, in some instances the military teams did allow military armorers to work on personally-owned firearms. Some military smiths also had side businesses that were perfectly legal provided they worked on personally-owned firearms using their own tools on their own time.

So in effect if you had firearms built by the same guy using the same parts, you'd have exactly what the teams had.