Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM

OP:

Here's what I know:
-I've never been on the AMU team etc.
-I shot with 2 of the AMU members some years back and one of the rifles was a FN M16A2 marked US Army rifle lower. The lower had been gutted as the auto sear pin hole was empty and I assume a comp trigger installed.
-Up until a year/two ago... the teams were allowed to inspect rifles and put tape on them but I believe that ended. Either way I didn't notice them using any different tape then the other 1000 competitors.
-I doubt, very seriously doubt, that in the AR/M16 era the Army would give any type of serviceable rifle away.

You might try the National match forum........... There maybe actual AMU members there to answer your questions...............

Or for that matter email them directly...........

PS......... if the trigger you have is a MKII Krieger.......... those have only been made for several years now. There was quite a break from when the original Milazzo (Sp?) ones were out and then these new(er) Mk2's came out.............

Last edited by Gewehr43; 06-22-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:52 PM

I honestly doubt that any military owned rifles were built on pre-ban HBAR lower receivers. If my memory serves me correctly, these receivers had non-mil spec pins which made a number of items like triggers and uppers non-compatible.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
I honestly doubt that any military owned rifles were built on pre-ban HBAR lower receivers. If my memory serves me correctly, these receivers had non-mil spec pins which made a number of items like triggers and uppers non-compatible.
And why would they?
They only have several million to choose from...............
Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Only from 1991-2009. This one is a small pin just like every other manufacturer's.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
Old guns (like obsolete running boar Olympic rifles, etc.) have been donated by AMU to the CMP, but it seems unlikely to me that you'd see a modern rifle leave AMU.

Often, military armorers retire and build the exact same guns that they built for the military teams. For instance, you can buy Gene Clark complete uppers at Creedmoor Sports, so in effect you could legally get what AMU had. You can also get an accurized M9 from David Sams built the same way he did at AMU.

Also, in some instances the military teams did allow military armorers to work on personally-owned firearms. Some military smiths also had side businesses that were perfectly legal provided they worked on personally-owned firearms using their own tools on their own time.

So in effect if you had firearms built by the same guy using the same parts, you'd have exactly what the teams had.
Excellent point, this is likely the case with the rifle in question.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:33 PM

OP:

You might try the National match forum........... There maybe actual AMU members there to answer your questions...............

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/index.html
Old 06-22-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:

http://www.usaac.army.mil/amu/index.html
I actually emailed one of the gentlemen earlier, but I'll definitely check the forum out too. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
Only from 1991-2009. This one is a small pin just like every other manufacturer's.
Yep, you are correct. A pre-ban HBAR could have either small pins (mil-spec) or large pins.

All that being said, I highly doubt that a military rifle would have been built on a commercial lower and I even more doubt that the rifle was ever US military property. It might have been a rifle that was built by a military match armorer but that's pretty hard to verify since the individual armorers probably never kept any records. If you have a nice rifle and got it at a good price, that's still very good.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:17 AM

I really doubt the lower was part of any gov't AMU program,

when I took Small Arms Firing School years ago, we used AMU guns, that were all M16's

he may have obtained some parts, (upper, barrel, etc, ) and built one,,
Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM

I spoke to a friend that helped with the AMU, he is a HM, and sometime in the early 2000's the AMU hired CMP HM shooters as coaches. After their time was up they were able to purchase their AMU built rifle. I believe they were built on Armalite lowers.