Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
I spoke to a friend that helped with the AMU, he is a HM, and sometime in the early 2000's the AMU hired CMP HM shooters as coaches. After their time was up they were able to purchase their AMU built rifle. I believe they were built on Armalite lowers.
Great post, thank you for bringing actual information instead of speculation and supposition. I really appreciate it.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
Great post, thank you for bringing actual information instead of speculation and supposition. I really appreciate it.

He's referring to a very small number of specially marked rifles that were used regarding the SDM program...............

They were on Armalite receivers, not Colt...............

(Though from your description you don't have one of those anyways from the parts you did describe)

But post pictures of the left/right side of the receivers and I can tell you if the markings are there.

What was the result of you reaching out to the AMU?

BTW............ I shot the Perry Cup last week and both the AMU and USMC teams were there.
I looked at 2 of their rifles and both were on M16 receivers.
And that isn't speculation or supposition............

Sir:
You are determined to prove your rifle has some sort of AMU providence. The only way that will happen is to contact them.

I gave you their website............ instead of posting here, Email them.

They will be at Perry again in a week, if they aren't there now. Go to the van and talk to them.

Contact them and get a letter or something.............

And then come back here and throw it in our doubting faces..........

Last edited by Big_Red; 07-09-2017 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
BTW............ I shot the Perry Cup last week and both the AMU and USMC teams were there.
I looked at 2 of their rifles and both were on M16 receivers.
And that isn't speculation or supposition............

Sir:
You are determined to prove your rifle has some sort of AMU providence. The only way that will happen is to contact them.

I gave you their website............ instead of posting here, Email them.

They will be at Perry again in a week, if they aren't there now. Go to the van and talk to them.

Contact them and get a letter or something.............
For the record, my last post wasn't directed specifically towards you, as you, like you mentioned, posted links and suggestions that might yield more information on the old HBAR. I also acted on those suggestions and sent out communication last week, but haven't received word back yet, as I assume they're busy with the matches at the moment.

As for getting in a van, I'd love to go to Perry at some point, but I'm enjoying the sunshine in San Diego for the better part of the month and will be doing some other rifle/genealogy research at the museums out here, so I won't have the time to make a trek across the country.

Cheers
Old 07-08-2017, 06:38 AM

As a former member of the USAR RIFLE TEAM. I was on the team when we went from the M14's to the M16's or the AR15, the team would get armalite kits, have their own armorer build them, all we did was pay for the kits. The lower receiver had the USAR decal stamped on the receiver. Government rifle no! Only gov. lowers that used to be M16's could not be sold to the public. Having a gov. own gun could not be stored at shooter's home. Government teams have civilian lower receivers, if you are on the a reserve or guard team you have your own lower but use the teams uppers.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-IOWAN View Post
As a former member of the USAR RIFLE TEAM. I was on the team when we went from the M14's to the M16's or the AR15, the team would get armalite kits, have their own armorer build them, all we did was pay for the kits. The lower receiver had the USAR decal stamped on the receiver. Government rifle no! Only gov. lowers that used to be M16's could not be sold to the public. Having a gov. own gun could not be stored at shooter's home. Government teams have civilian lower receivers, if you are on the a reserve or guard team you have your own lower but use the teams uppers.

Thanks for input!
But one thing, if I understand your comments..........

On June 27th-30th 2017 there was the CMP's Cup Matches. The full time AMU and USMC rifle teams were there. Though for some reason, the AMU didn't shoot the EIC on Friday.

I was there and competing along side those AMU/USMC shooters.
I looked then (both to remind me of what I'd observed some years ago but also as a result of this thread) at 2 of their rifles.

I was close enough to look at the serial numbers and those were US GOVT M16 receivers. They were marked as such, they had other US GOVT markings like the scannable stickers and had the full auto sear cut outs......

So they were US Govt M16 lowers. Now I could tell they were gutted and had competition triggers in them.

I didn't ask about all their rifles, or the history of them or who made them.........

I was there to shoot as they were and not answer idle trivia questions but the lowers I observed were US Govt M16 lowers.

Last edited by Gewehr43; 07-08-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post

I was there to shoot as they were and not answer idle trivia questions but the lowers I observed were US Govt M16 lowers.
And, what's the law that prohibits sale in USA of any select-fire receiver/weapon, after a certain date?
Old 07-09-2017, 08:17 AM

If you buy the story, you deserve to be skunked here. AMU does not sell rifles to civilians and the owner of the alleged AMU rifle can say what he wants , pay out the nose for that rifle and if he hawks it for sale at me: I 'll tell him he is out to lunch but okay...sell it to some dope who buys the story.

BS Flag all over this rifle and as John Wayne said: Life is Tough, Its tougher if you are stupid.

Full Stop.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
If you buy the story, you deserve to be skunked here. AMU does not sell rifles to civilians and the owner of the alleged AMU rifle can say what he wants , pay out the nose for that rifle and if he hawks it for sale at me: I 'll tell him he is out to lunch but okay...sell it to some dope who buys the story.

BS Flag all over this rifle and as John Wayne said: Life is Tough, Its tougher if you are stupid.

Full Stop.
Skunked? What an asinine post, I bought a rifle listed as "Colt AR-15" for around what the pre-ban HBAR lower currently sells for by itself...

...never mind the fact that it came with a rather nice barrel that isn't cheap.

Also, had you actually read the thread, you would've noticed that the guy who the rifle belonged to had passed away prior to this rifle coming up for sale at auction, and was telling no particular stories about the rifle in question. I guess a more relevant John Wayne quote here is "short on ears, long on mouth".

Last edited by tzachary; 07-09-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzachary View Post
Skunked? What an asinine post, I bought a rifle listed as "Colt AR-15" for around what the pre-ban HBAR lower currently sells for by itself...

...never mind the fact that it came with a rather nice barrel that isn't cheap.

Also, had you actually read the thread, you would've noticed that the guy who the rifle belonged to had passed away prior to this rifle coming up for sale at auction, and was telling no particular stories about the rifle in question. I guess a more relevant John Wayne quote here is "short on ears, long on mouth".
OK, if you are happy with the price, that's great. What Milprileb is saying is that the rifle is not what you are hoping it is and to pay a premium is not a good idea. The last part of that statement might not pertain to you but might pertain to someone else down the line if you perpetuate the myth. Just saying.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:17 AM

Well, I was going to say its asinine to buy such a rifle for the story but I cleaned it up by saying Skunked.

Its asinine to get Skunked: Decisions in life have consequences, enjoy your rifle.