Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milprileb View Post

Mirage is defeating me, I got to get a handle on how to deal with it.
Do you mean a situation where the mirage is so heavy the image you see of the bullseye is displaced from its actual position? Or how to infer wind speed and direction from mirage?
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
Do you mean a situation where the mirage is so heavy the image you see of the bullseye is displaced from its actual position? Or how to infer wind speed and direction from mirage?
image you see of the bullseye is displaced from its actual position? ...that is exactly what I am dealing with at the moment
Old 07-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
image you see of the bullseye is displaced from its actual position? ...that is exactly what I am dealing with at the moment
Is this with iron sights or scope and at what distance?
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I would say a frame hold if it's that bad on the target black
Old 07-16-2017, 05:35 PM

The phenomenon that milprileb and NMC_EXP are referring to is due to refraction of the light making the image appear to be offset from its actual position. It takes an experienced eye to properly identify and correct for this phenomenon. It really isn't much of an issue at close ranges but is much more significant as the range increases. This article is very good: http://southtexasshooting.org/multim...xt/mirage.html

Last edited by rickgman; 07-16-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
The phenomenon that milprileb and NMC_EXP are referring to is due to refraction of the light making the image appear to be offset from its actual position. It takes an experienced eye to properly identify and correct for this phenomenon. It really isn't much of an issue at close ranges but is much more significant as the range increases. This article is very good: http://southtexasshooting.org/multim...xt/mirage.html
Pretty good article - thanks.

I agree with the author that high humidity makes the mirage worse i.e. "thicker".

Rifle scopes magnify all of the mirage between you and the target. The higher the mag, the more distortion there is.

I used to shoot a 100 yd smallbore prone league in the midwest. The firing point and targets were both low so your line of sight was very close to gound level where the mirage was thickest. On high humidity 90+ degree days it was easy to loose a lot of points due to target image displacement.

First time that happened to me it was so bad I something was wrong with the rifle. I got out position and checked to verify my sights and guard screws were tight.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
Is this with iron sights or scope and at what distance?
800 and 1000 yards is the distance.