Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2017, 01:14 PM

I pulled pits yesterday for the NTT. Hot, humid, windy conditions. The groups of scoped rifles vs irons was night and day. They should be in separate categories.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuceguy View Post
I pulled pits yesterday for the NTT. Hot, humid, windy conditions. The groups of scoped rifles vs irons was night and day. They should be in separate categories.
We're the last generation to really know how to use irons. In the US, at least.

I truly wish they'd take your suggestion, but I'd doubt it.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post

Probably the last generation to use pits and maybe slings. And electronic targets are here to stay and becoming more popular. We just installed them on our clubs 600 yrd. high power range. The new generation wants ease and convenience, and instant feedback touch screen monitors.

VFW Patriots Circle Member
NRA Life Member
PMRPC - CMP/GSM Rifle Match Chairman
GSM Master Instructor
Old 07-21-2017, 03:27 PM

Many people think there should be separate categories. It will change to that, but I hope not too late before too many people just give up. There is no point of shooting for the same prize in a iron vs scope match. I think a lot changes are going to happen. No choice.. No one my age group and younger want to shoot with wood and steel. If there is any hope to continue match shooting there will have to be various categories modern military matches allowing different scopes, ar 10s, M14 EBR clones, etc. This will certainly attract more younger shooters to match shooting. A modern sniper match is also needed.

The iron sight service rifle matches shouldn't have been messed with. Cheaper match fees would also be nice. I hope the CMP is paying attention to this.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
Probably the last generation to use pits and maybe slings. And electronic targets are here to stay and becoming more popular. We just installed them on our clubs 600 yrd. high power range. The new generation wants ease and convenience, and instant feedback touch screen monitors.
It'll eventually be replaced by a video game.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:39 PM

I enjoy working the pits. Something awesome about being down range under fire! Albeit safely. LOL. Like I said before a traditional A2 Service rifle match could easily be carved out. Plus I dig my A2.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilegeek View Post

I'm a relatively new shooter and refused to by a scope for my semi-auto 308 until we all learned to use the irons.

My wife soots about CD sized groups at 100 yards the irons. I outshot my son with my stock 1903 against his modern-scoped 308 semi-auto.

That said, I'm looking for a 1903 (not A3) sporter to turn revive and scope so I don't worry about the round count so much.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:20 AM

Quote:
There is no point of shooting for the same prize in a iron vs scope match.
If the prize is leg points, two separate classifications might cause more problems than you think. If you show up at a match where there are few folks shooting iron sights, you might shoot well but not get points since there might not be sufficient shooters within your classification to allow you get any points.

Competitive shooting is like any other equipment based sport. If you are given a choice of hardware, simply choose the hardware that allows you to perform the best - assuming you are interested in performing well. Almost always, the better performing hardware does come at an increased cost but serious competitors don't hesitate to upgrade. It's like that in auto racing. In that sport, there is a saying "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?" Of course, if you want to use hardware that doesn't perform as well for whatever reason, that's OK too. For some participation is the goal. That's entirely up to the individual competitor.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

Quote:
Many people think there should be separate categories. It will change to that, but I hope not too late before too many people just give up. There is no point of shooting for the same prize in a iron vs scope match. I think a lot changes are going to happen. No choice.. No one my age group and younger want to shoot with wood and steel. If there is any hope to continue match shooting there will have to be various categories modern military matches allowing different scopes, ar 10s, M14 EBR clones, etc. This will certainly attract more younger shooters to match shooting. A modern sniper match is also needed.The iron sight service rifle matches shouldn't have been messed with. Cheaper match fees would also be nice. I hope the CMP is paying attention to this.
This is all great input. Younger shooters want something other than what is being offered and change needs to happen.

Just out of the blue here but is there not a way to cause CMP to have a shooters conference and seek improvements / recommendations so they can tune matches to meet the future and not satisfy 1937 era shooting philosophy // rituals .

I totally agree with his man's opinions . The iron sight Service Rifle Match should have been left as is , and a new one held for optic / new generation Service Rifles.

There is room for the classic historic type Service Rifle Matches and for newer versions with optics.... if CMP has a committee that does match development, its all about 2 days discussion and work up to come up with solutions and put into play. Take 1 day if you give the task to 2 Non Commissioned Officers and not civilians...
Old 07-22-2017, 07:12 AM

Don't forget if the kids want to shoot tactical carbine with optics they can do so or the any rifle catagory if they are attending a NRA HP match. (I was reading a buddies score card and had to look up the tactical carbine category lol)