Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2017, 05:21 PM

Default UBR/Scope Setup

I decided to help my aging eyes by moving to an optic on my AR. I'm trying to get back into service rifle after 20+ year absence.

I purchased a Vortex scope which I am happy with, but I've been through several mounts. I first thought the problem was eye relief, but I now I'm thinking it was scope height. I was using mounts in the 1.45"-1.5" range. I just bought the Geisselle service rifle mount at 1.3" and plan on installing this weekend.

I also purchased the UBR Gen 2 stock, which I'm going to install this weekend also.

When setting up the mount for eye relief, is there a preference on which position the stock should be in initially? Does anyone change the stock position based on the shooting position, and if so, which way do you go and when?

I like my nose on the charging handle, but I want to make sure I'm setting everything up correctly before I sight in. I'm also hoping to get some practice in before a local match at the end of August.

Any advice or experiences are welcome.

Jim
Old 07-27-2017, 06:20 PM

First, with no sights on the rifle at all, start with the stock all the way out. Get in prone with all your gear on just like if you were on the line. Close your eyes and mount the rifle as usual. Is your nose in the comfortable place on the charging handle? Is your trigger hand on the grip properly for a good trigger pull? If not, try shortening the stock until its tight and right. Check the other positions as well.

Once that's determined, put the scope mount all the way forward on the receiver. Get in position. Have someone (or yourself) initially set the scope on the rings two fingers space away from your eye. Close your eyes for a bit. When you open them, the scope should be the proper distance. If not, adjust and repeat until it is. Then put the upper caps on and snug it in place.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:44 PM

So, set it up for prone and work from there.

Do you find that a change in position requires you to change the stock position at all?

The reason I ask is when I initially tried the scope I found that I was very uncomfortable in prone, but sitting and offhand were comfortable. I think that due to the height of the rings I was forced to move my head into an awkward position to avoid parallax. I want to make sure it was not a length of pull issue. Never had a problem with irons.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 PM

I struggled too until I got a 1.3" mount. That got me much closer to my old A2 positions. Lots of folks adjust the stock for the other positions.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 AM

I'm not a very big guy so I use #1 for offhand #4 for sitting #3 for prone
I'm up on the scope pretty close in prone My UBR is a gen 1
My scope is about as low as I can get it
Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 PM

I adjust both stock and sling. For me in offhand and rapid sitting with UBR gen 1 I use #2 on stock and #8 sling; for rapid and slow prone #3 stock and #10 sling. This has been with lots of trial and error. You need to work out a pattern for your self.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:50 AM

I just received a reply to an email I sent to the AMU (through CMP) regarding this topic. The reply is below:

Jim,

To answer your question about stock positions with optics, most of us do adjust the stock between positions. A good rule of thumb is shorter for standing and longer for sitting and prone. I recommend that you don't get too crazy shortening the stock for standing, but make it short enough to bring the weight of the rifle to be more centered over your body rather than hanging out front. For prone and sitting most of us just use the standard A2 length. Hope this helps.

V/R

Shane Barnhart, SFC
Service Rifle
United States Army Marksmanship Unit
Fort Benning, GA 31905
Old 09-28-2017, 01:44 PM

I use the UBR1 at full length (as it was set up by the factory, I believe it can go one position longer) for seated and prone. I come in one notch for offhand. I lengthen my sling one notch when going from seated to prone.

I use a Keystone Accuracy mount, which is 1.3"
Old 09-28-2017, 10:57 PM

I'm going through as well.. just getting back into shooting and finally deciding to chase leg points.

Any real differences between the 1st and 2d gen stocks?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1715468131859756/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 09-29-2017, 08:26 AM

I bought the 2nd gen, but don't really know the difference. I saw White Oak Armament had both in stock the other day.