Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 AM

Default First match advice

Just like the title says, I will be (attempting) to compete in my first M1 match in a couple weeks.

The course of fire (forgive me if this is the standard):

5 Sighters
10 slow fire print
10 rapid fire prone
10 standing

The flyer says 100 and 200 yards, so I'm not sure how that works (thinking prone at 200, and standing at 100).

But with the ten rounds per event, how do ya'll load the rifle? Should I buy some 5 round clips? Throw two more rounds in on top of a loaded clip in the rifle after a couple shots?

Will it be military style with calls to insert a clip, move the safety selector, etc?

I want to:

A) Not hold up the firing line
B) Not do anything stupid
C) Get my feet wet in JCG matches

Thanks, Gents
Old 07-31-2017, 08:44 AM

Slow prone and Standing will be single load only. You can buy or make a single load device if you'd like for those stages. I just start the round into the chamber, push the follower down with my index finger and pull the op-rod back with my middle finger and let it go to chamber. For your rapid fire stage, you'll start by loading two rounds on an empty chamber. Some use a two round clip others use a standard clip by inserting an empty clip loading two rounds hold both rounds down and slide the bolt over the rounds. After getting into position cycle the action shoot two rounds reload with a full clip of 8. Remember you have 80 seconds take your time. You may want to ask for help your first time loading the two rounds. It can be tricky.
Have fun, show up early ask questions.
Old 07-31-2017, 08:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhdpheasant12 View Post
Have fun, show up early ask questions.
When you show up let them know right away that you have never done this before. They will help you get straightened out.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:16 AM

Should be 100 or 200yds--not both. Call and ask. Sight in your rifle before you go! You don't need any special clips, SLED, etc. Rapid fire: use standard enblocs. Practice placing 2 rounds into the rifle, forcing them down and releasing the bolt over them to get ready for rapid stage. You don't usually use the safety. Practice all loading procedures (including single rounds) before you go! Listen to the instructions, look at the procedures in the CMP Games Rule book (under "competitions". Good shooting...
Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 AM

Just remember to have fun. Don't go thinking you have to get X score. Just go and see how the positions work for you and what you need to work on. Remember the fundamentals, rely on them. Don't rush your rapids, if you don't get all your round off, that's ok. Malfunction, don't panic. Learn to work the problem with a cool head. Good Luck

PS Don't use a sled. Unless you are left handed go without. They cause more problems than they solve. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinson View Post
Just remember to have fun. Don't go thinking you have to get X score. Just go and see how the positions work for you and what you need to work on. Remember the fundamentals, rely on them. Don't rush your rapids, if you don't get all your round off, that's ok. Malfunction, don't panic. Learn to work the problem with a cool head. Good Luck

PS Don't use a sled. Unless you are left handed go without. They cause more problems than they solve. Good luck.
Curious on why okay for left-handed but not recommended (SLED). I am left-handed so good to know.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackflht05 View Post
Curious on why okay for left-handed but not recommended (SLED). I am left-handed so good to know.
Sled's work fine, it's mostly new shooters that forget or don't know how to remove them during the load command for rapids. Happens frequently enough at matches that people don't like them.

Also, if your going to practice loading do it at the range if using live rounds.
If using dummy rounds at home make anyone around aware of what you are doing.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:31 AM

You will be welcomed like a brother. There is nothing better than a new shooter at a match! The sport needs to keep growing and people like you keep it going.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 AM

Left handed shooters need the sled because they can't single load an M1 with out them. (nothing to hold the op rod back and push the follower down while the right arm is slung up. Just mechanics of the motion...
Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 PM

best advice I can give is what some gave me when I started shooting high power,

relax,,

you will get better, you may even get worse a couple of times,

if you have a chance (not knowing how far you are from the match) go and watch a relay, as in find an experienced shooter and watch what he/she does for the match,

ask questions afterwards, and maybe some before, not during (most folks are concentrating on score and position, no time to answer too many questions)

again,,

relax, have fun, shoot more, repeat