Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM

Default re: NM AR15 scope choice

I'm wanting to build a flattop upper so I can try the scope game next season.

I have been looking an have been intrigued by the Leupold VX-2 1-4 x 20. I can get the scope for 60% off MSRP (around $150) and can get the M1 turrets put on by the Custom Shop for $130. Would the standard duplex reticle be OK? Any thoughts on parallax. Parallax from the factory is 150 yds.

I've noticed no one has gone this route before and was wondering if there is anything I've been missing.

I've talked with the Custom Shop and they think it would be a good choice for what is needed.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance for any input.
Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 PM

I went with the Vortex Viper PST mainly due to a sale at the time ($400), but I've been having trouble getting the right mount. I just bought the Geisselle and hope to have it on sometime this week, along with the UBR stock. I like the reticle but the illumination is a waste (for me anyway).

I have noticed over the past week or so, I guess due to the national matches, that several companies have come out with new optics for AR service rifles. I saw that Hi-Lux had one with parallax adjustment for under $500.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but for XTC shooting repeatability of the turrets is a must. Vortex got high praise for that feature.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 PM

Take advantage of a 0% offer on balance transfers on a dormant credit card and get the Nightforce. Enjoy it for the next 75 years
Old 08-01-2017, 09:17 AM

Default Scope choice

Everyone's eyes are different. I would check a 1" vs. 30MM scope. You might be surprised by the difference in brightness. Buy once, cry once.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon99 View Post
I'm wanting to build a flattop upper so I can try the scope game next season.

I have been looking an have been intrigued by the Leupold VX-2 1-4 x 20. I can get the scope for 60% off MSRP (around $150) and can get the M1 turrets put on by the Custom Shop for $130. Would the standard duplex reticle be OK? Any thoughts on parallax. Parallax from the factory is 150 yds.

I've noticed no one has gone this route before and was wondering if there is anything I've been missing.

I've talked with the Custom Shop and they think it would be a good choice for what is needed.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance for any input.
is that a better scope than the Mk AR that Leupold makes, (it has turrets and is priced at ~300)

also check White Oak for scopes and services
Old 08-02-2017, 07:59 AM

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for the info and advice.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyman View Post
is that a better scope than the Mk AR that Leupold makes, (it has turrets and is priced at ~300)

also check White Oak for scopes and services
similar construction; however the turrets are marked in mils. It is nothing I can't learn (.1 mil approx. .3 MOA) but I will have enough to think about with windage adjustments (left and right windage on a scope is opposite of NM irons) Not a match goes by that someone around me shooting a scoped rifle doesn't put windage on in the wrond direction.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon99 View Post
Would the standard duplex reticle be OK? Any thoughts on parallax. Parallax from the factory is 150 yds.

Yes, others have gone this route, but there is a bit of groupthink among many shooters regarding gear. (One of the Top 20 in the shoot-off in the President's was using a cheap Leupold Mark-AR, so it can be done).

As far as parallax, I was talking to a rep from a major scope manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed so I don't generate any gossip one way or the other) on Commercial Row at Perry, and he seemed to think that a lot of shooter concerns about parallax are unfounded and position fundamentals are more important. If you use one of those online parallax calculators you'll find that the amount of potential error is pretty minuscule.

As far as the reticle goes, that may be personal choice... if a duplex works for you, use it. Some people are going for the circle in the reticle, others like the illuminated dot in the reticle. Your own call, really.
Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM

I may have to go pick up a Walmart leupold Lol.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 Swedish View Post
As far as parallax, I was talking to a rep from a major scope manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed so I don't generate any gossip one way or the other) on Commercial Row at Perry, and he seemed to think that a lot of shooter concerns about parallax are unfounded and position fundamentals are more important. If you use one of those online parallax calculators you'll find that the amount of potential error is pretty minuscule.
Yes, if the shooter maintains his eye in the center of the exit pupil, there is no induced parallax error. It's sort of like using iron sights - you need to maintain a constant cheek weld. Unless a scope with a large objective lens is used, the maximum potential error due to parallax is relatively small and will be even smaller if good position is maintained. If someone wants to have the scope parallax correction changed at the factory, that's certainly OK but I'm not sure it is worth the time and effort.