Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
talon99 talon99 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 17
Default re: NM AR15 scope choice

I'm wanting to build a flattop upper so I can try the scope game next season.

I have been looking an have been intrigued by the Leupold VX-2 1-4 x 20. I can get the scope for 60% off MSRP (around $150) and can get the M1 turrets put on by the Custom Shop for $130. Would the standard duplex reticle be OK? Any thoughts on parallax. Parallax from the factory is 150 yds.

I've noticed no one has gone this route before and was wondering if there is anything I've been missing.

I've talked with the Custom Shop and they think it would be a good choice for what is needed.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-31-2017, 01:51 PM
jimonfly jimonfly is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Winter Haven, FL
Posts: 14
Default

I went with the Vortex Viper PST mainly due to a sale at the time ($400), but I've been having trouble getting the right mount. I just bought the Geisselle and hope to have it on sometime this week, along with the UBR stock. I like the reticle but the illumination is a waste (for me anyway).

I have noticed over the past week or so, I guess due to the national matches, that several companies have come out with new optics for AR service rifles. I saw that Hi-Lux had one with parallax adjustment for under $500.

I'm far from an expert on the subject, but for XTC shooting repeatability of the turrets is a must. Vortex got high praise for that feature.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-31-2017, 10:21 PM
Deuceguy Deuceguy is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Northfield, OH
Posts: 785
Default

Take advantage of a 0% offer on balance transfers on a dormant credit card and get the Nightforce. Enjoy it for the next 75 years
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-2017, 09:17 AM
zippysrifle zippysrifle is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 173 miles E of the NS
Posts: 505
Default Scope choice

Everyone's eyes are different. I would check a 1" vs. 30MM scope. You might be surprised by the difference in brightness. Buy once, cry once.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-2017, 03:19 PM
lyman lyman is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon99 View Post
I'm wanting to build a flattop upper so I can try the scope game next season.

I have been looking an have been intrigued by the Leupold VX-2 1-4 x 20. I can get the scope for 60% off MSRP (around $150) and can get the M1 turrets put on by the Custom Shop for $130. Would the standard duplex reticle be OK? Any thoughts on parallax. Parallax from the factory is 150 yds.

I've noticed no one has gone this route before and was wondering if there is anything I've been missing.

I've talked with the Custom Shop and they think it would be a good choice for what is needed.

Any thoughts and thanks in advance for any input.
is that a better scope than the Mk AR that Leupold makes, (it has turrets and is priced at ~300)

also check White Oak for scopes and services
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-02-2017, 07:59 AM
talon99 talon99 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 17
Default

I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for the info and advice.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-03-2017, 06:16 AM
talon99 talon99 is offline
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: West Central Ohio
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyman View Post
is that a better scope than the Mk AR that Leupold makes, (it has turrets and is priced at ~300)

also check White Oak for scopes and services
similar construction; however the turrets are marked in mils. It is nothing I can't learn (.1 mil approx. .3 MOA) but I will have enough to think about with windage adjustments (left and right windage on a scope is opposite of NM irons) Not a match goes by that someone around me shooting a scoped rifle doesn't put windage on in the wrond direction.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-05-2017, 03:11 PM
6.5 Swedish 6.5 Swedish is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon99 View Post
Would the standard duplex reticle be OK? Any thoughts on parallax. Parallax from the factory is 150 yds.

I've noticed no one has gone this route before and was wondering if there is anything I've been missing.
Yes, others have gone this route, but there is a bit of groupthink among many shooters regarding gear. (One of the Top 20 in the shoot-off in the President's was using a cheap Leupold Mark-AR, so it can be done).

As far as parallax, I was talking to a rep from a major scope manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed so I don't generate any gossip one way or the other) on Commercial Row at Perry, and he seemed to think that a lot of shooter concerns about parallax are unfounded and position fundamentals are more important. If you use one of those online parallax calculators you'll find that the amount of potential error is pretty minuscule.

As far as the reticle goes, that may be personal choice... if a duplex works for you, use it. Some people are going for the circle in the reticle, others like the illuminated dot in the reticle. Your own call, really.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM
10thmountain 10thmountain is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 448
Default

I may have to go pick up a Walmart leupold Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 AM
rickgman rickgman is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 Swedish View Post
As far as parallax, I was talking to a rep from a major scope manufacturer (who shall remain unnamed so I don't generate any gossip one way or the other) on Commercial Row at Perry, and he seemed to think that a lot of shooter concerns about parallax are unfounded and position fundamentals are more important. If you use one of those online parallax calculators you'll find that the amount of potential error is pretty minuscule.
Yes, if the shooter maintains his eye in the center of the exit pupil, there is no induced parallax error. It's sort of like using iron sights - you need to maintain a constant cheek weld. Unless a scope with a large objective lens is used, the maximum potential error due to parallax is relatively small and will be even smaller if good position is maintained. If someone wants to have the scope parallax correction changed at the factory, that's certainly OK but I'm not sure it is worth the time and effort.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.