Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 05:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

Thanks for the replies guys. I wanted to get a "sanity check" as I have heard that excess pressure can build when the bullet rests up againt the rifiling. I was also concerned that the bullets in Lake City match (which I will no longer use in this rifle) may be getting pushed further in the case. I think the answer here for me at least is to switch to ELD bullets or others with a gentle ogive and to use more modern commercial match ammo
Old 08-11-2017, 08:30 AM

How about simply seating the bullet deep enough to clear the lands......?? Good Shooting. ..
Old 08-11-2017, 08:35 AM

recut the chamber so it closes easy on a live greek HXP round.
use a standard 30-06 reamer with T handle and not a pull through.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
recut the chamber so it closes easy on a live greek HXP round.
use a standard 30-06 reamer with T handle and not a pull through.

HXP seems to chamber with no issues and from what I can tell, no rub marks on the projectile.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 AM

likely the issue is whatever finish reamer your using..
Old 08-22-2017, 04:58 PM

I had the same problem and received the same advice from Chuck, I followed his directions and the problem was solved by using a finish reamer with a t handle and HXP. One was a 17 and the other an 03 with Criterion replacement barrels.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:58 PM

If you are using a finish reamer to solve a short throat...... may the force be with you. Good Shooting. ..
Old 08-23-2017, 06:27 PM

I dont think I solved a short throught problem by switching reamers I think I solved a cartridge headspace problem. The bolts on both rifles would close on a go gauge and not on a no go. What they wouldn't do was chamber hxp without resizing the cartridge with the bolt when it was closed. So I just stopped right there. What I did neglect to say was I didn't have a problem with the bullet touching the leade, the rifles would not accept the full range of factory ammo available to them. My mistake for misinterpreting the question, the tooling that I originally used was inside the range for the selected ammo.
Maybe Chuck recalls the conversation but it was awhile back. He was delighted to help me out and advise the alternative method described above. The conversation sounded familiar to the same one we had. The force was with me because both rifles shoot great,accept ammunition of the type commonly available for them and still do not come close to closing on the no go gauge so it was a success for me. Hope the op has the same outcome with the ammo he is using the most frequently and his problem is solved.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:40 PM

Exclamation

HXP is well known to be long at the case shoulder. Correcting or reaming a chamber to fit it is not an option I would pursue. Backasswards in fact. It was once one of the biggest complaints at CMP matches when they issued only HXP for match use and required it's use. Some would not chamber in bolt guns without slamming the bolt closed and after firing some could not be extracted from the chamber. Believe your headspace gauges and pick better ammo to judge your chamber fit with. If you must use HXP ammo, go through it and use only the rounds that properly load. It's not a lot, batch or year problem since even within the same sealed spam can of ammo many rounds simply won't chamber well in bolt guns without difficulty. I've had some that wouldn't chamber at all and looked like I was trying to chamber a No-Go gauge.

I've had as many as 50% refuse to chamber in commercial bolt guns and trying to shoot it in a commercial gas gun is simply a wasted effort entirely.

Last edited by lapriester; 09-10-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:18 AM

+1 what lapriester said, not a good idea to use hxp cartridge for headspace gauge when reaming a chamber. If this is becoming a common practice better take your headspace gauge with you if you are buying a rifle.