Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsGarand View Post
... the bullets are hitting the rifling
and in one case (LC Match '67) opening the bolt and forcing the cartridge out separated the case from the bullet, leaving the bullet stuck in the bore.
I have an as-new circa 1965 Model 70 Match rifle that did the same thing with LC 67 Match. After firing about 200 rounds of 168 SMK handloads seated to kiss the lands, it will now accept the LC match. I'll probably shoot mostly cast bullets in it, anyway.

Respectfully,
Bob S.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 09-12-2017, 04:05 PM

Leave the rifle alone and shoot it with the correct length ammo. You have a bullet seater right? Hello? High pressure, no throat, need to ream with a reamer! Bull corn and pucks!

DID you contact the gunsmith/machinist??
Old 09-15-2017, 05:16 PM

The HXP round that I used for a gauge chambered perfectly in a Wilson case gauge. The rifles do not even come close to closing on a NG guage. What is different is the neck diameter is larger on the HXP than other ammo commonly available to me handloads and various factory offerings in my case. Also the flutes on the neck cutting portion on my Pt reamer that I used must measure under-size and would have been more appropriate for a commercial cartridge offering with a more conservative neck measurement. If running a different reamer that follows the chamber closely allows a cartridge to chamber without increasing Chamber head-space whats the answer? Did that different reamer cut the shoulder before the neck or what happened? I doubt it. FWIW the PT reamer that I have is hard to measure because the flutes are unevenly spaced. Im no expert by any means but I would consider neck diameter the culprit in my case. The bullet never got close to the leade because of the neck. So before I got a throater out I just stopped and discussed the situation with someone who put a bunch more rifles together than I have.One of the writers indicated HXP having a slightly larger spec at the shoulder and I can go with that but that hasn't been my experience with the lots of ammo I have. My rifles shoot great, are not hard on brass and I don't have to pet load any of them. They are also not for sale so I wouldn't get all worked up about mis-chambered rifles being out there either.
I know someone would be more than happy to correct me and thats fine but wouldn't a neck measurement be an important part of examining cases that have been prepared for reloading anyhow? At least before bullet seating occurs? I'm unsuscribed for here on out. Putting lights back on in FLA and this caught my eye so I enjoyed the convo for a temporary diversion after nearly a week thanks.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:53 PM

You have to be kidding.......

Rick H.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
The HXP round that I used for a gauge chambered perfectly in a Wilson case gauge. The rifles do not even come close to closing on a NG guage. What is different is the neck diameter is larger on the HXP than other ammo commonly available to me handloads and various factory offerings in my case. Also the flutes on the neck cutting portion on my Pt reamer that I used must measure under-size and would have been more appropriate for a commercial cartridge offering with a more conservative neck measurement. If running a different reamer that follows the chamber closely allows a cartridge to chamber without increasing Chamber head-space whats the answer? Did that different reamer cut the shoulder before the neck or what happened? I doubt it. FWIW the PT reamer that I have is hard to measure because the flutes are unevenly spaced. Im no expert by any means but I would consider neck diameter the culprit in my case. The bullet never got close to the leade because of the neck. So before I got a throater out I just stopped and discussed the situation with someone who put a bunch more rifles together than I have.One of the writers indicated HXP having a slightly larger spec at the shoulder and I can go with that but that hasn't been my experience with the lots of ammo I have. My rifles shoot great, are not hard on brass and I don't have to pet load any of them. They are also not for sale so I wouldn't get all worked up about mis-chambered rifles being out there either.
I know someone would be more than happy to correct me and thats fine but wouldn't a neck measurement be an important part of examining cases that have been prepared for reloading anyhow? At least before bullet seating occurs? I'm unsuscribed for here on out. Putting lights back on in FLA and this caught my eye so I enjoyed the convo for a temporary diversion after nearly a week thanks.
You lost me after saying you use a case as a gage
Old 09-30-2017, 02:02 PM

When are you going to learn that you never use a case as a guage. Doing so is like telling someone they are slightly pregnant. Military Ball cases generally are thicker to begin with so you can expect HXP to follow suit and havea slightly larger neck diameter when loaded or new. That is NOT your problem. If it is causing a problem you have a defective reamer. I have reamed a dozen or more chambers with my Manson reamer and the only issues I have encountered with ANY ammo is with the typical to long at the shoulder defective HXP rounds that make up 10-15% of the ammo they produced. Some won't chamber in ANY rifle.

I don't care what case guage a piece of brass fits into. it doesn't mean the case becomes a replacement for a real guage or a proper tool.
Old 09-30-2017, 02:14 PM

Exclamation

As an example of the normal larger sized neck due thicker brass I used to form 7.62 NATO brass to 260 Remington. When i did I experienced function and extraction probldms with my AR10 because the necks ended up too thick and had to be outside reamed. Once I discontinued that and started forming commercial brass no reaming was needed and the neck diameter was well within normal specs. Any, non defective reamer should give you adequate room for the necks of either commercial or Ball 30-06 ammo. If it isn't, no matter how you choose to measure headspace, replace the defective tool. You are chasing shadows with some of your assumptions. The process isn't rocket science. Generally any mechanically enclined caveman can do it with proper tools and minimal experience.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:47 PM

Back in #16 that's what I did after it was recommended. No more problem. Because of the odd number of flutes, the PT reamer is hard to measure. Once I switched to another reamer driven from the rear, it was a snap. The difference between the two is so close the rifles gauged but were tight with HXP.
Thanks!
Old 10-02-2017, 01:13 PM

This is a wealth of good info. I recently purchased a Rock Ridge A4 clone and when trying to shoot my Garand ammo through the A4 I was observing slight jamming into the lands. This all makes total sense. I had to seat my bullets about .030" deeper to ensure clean chambering.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

Yes, indeed. If you read and take in the info that is presented here, you can actually learn quite a bit. Just don't be in a rush to get an answer, some of the best responders take a while to jump in and offer up their point of view.