Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Default What type of ambi bolt release?

Hi
What type of ambi bolt release do you folks recommend?

Thanks.

Read "War is a Racket" by MG Smedly Butler,USMC. He knew war,and was awarded the Medal of Honor twice. http://warisaracket.org/
Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 PM

I like the MagPul BAD. Its small and attaches with a single hex bolt.

I have two.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:36 AM

I use a BAD lever on my SR and Match rifle......Flawless. It does affect lock back on some rifles though. I have a few that it won't lock back regardless of changing Springs, buffers, buffer weights, etc. There are others on the market but I'm not familiar with those.

Keith
Old 08-28-2017, 06:01 PM

The couple failure-to-locks I've seen were the bolt outrunning the catch. I recommend a stiffer mag spring/weaker bolt catch spring and maybe a heavier carrier or buffer to give the catch more time to get up.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 08-28-2017, 06:39 PM

Default Magpul

The BAD is good, sorry couldn't resist. I had to snip a coil and a half from the bolt stop spring for proper function.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to milprileb

The Magpul "BAD" works well from all accounts and from experience with them on my AR's.

The Phase V brand version/type of "BAD" didn't work no matter what my buddy did to get it operational.

He finally got a Magpul BAD and is rolling along fine.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
The couple failure-to-locks I've seen were the bolt outrunning the catch. I recommend a stiffer mag spring/weaker bolt catch spring and maybe a heavier carrier or buffer to give the catch more time to get up.
The "Bad" does seem the best but the common problem if they have one is the failure to lock back............

I'm curious though........... if that is happening, why you would suggest a heavier carrier or buffer. That would make it worse, not better..................

Last edited by Gewehr43; 08-29-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:00 PM

Lefties have an advantage with the AR15. All we need is the left hand safety. All other controls actually work better using our opposite hand. The OEM bolt release is easily fingered with the trigger finger.

The mag drop button easily used while holding the rifle on target with the pistol grip. Push against your shoulder keeping eyes on the target. Fun fast and easy to make mag drops and changes. Muscle memory.

Use the right hand holding the fresh mag pushing the mag release button with you right index finger or thumb. Then when the mag drops out you slam the new mag into the mag well using the same hand.

All of this happens while keeping both eyes open and scanning the entire target area. Or paper target. The barrel remains at all times level down range. Having a legal left hand upper group would be great.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
The "Bad" does seem the best but the common problem if they have one is the failure to lock back............

I'm curious though........... if that is happening, why you would suggest a heavier carrier or buffer. That would make it worse, not better..................
How?

My thinking is same force + more mass = slower cycle, for the catch and BCG.
Distinguished Rifleman #2223
"Technique isn't something that can be taught. It's something you find on your own." - Bunta Fujiwara
Old 09-06-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighpowerRifleBrony View Post
How?

My thinking is same force + more mass = slower cycle, for the catch and BCG.
Well........... I was curious to understand your thinking.

The typical malfunction is that the BCG isn't going back far enough to be caught by the bolt catch.
By increasing the mass, the BCG will go back even less, increasing the chance it will NOT be caught by the bolt catch.
Instead if you lighten the BCG........ it will go further back and be caught by the catch..............

So yes, look at the magazine and bolt catch spring but lighten the BCG................

Last edited by Gewehr43; 09-06-2017 at 02:59 PM.