Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2017, 12:56 PM

Default 1903 bolt hard open

My son has a 1903 and he says it's hard to open the bolt handle to cock the firing pin. I suggested grease in the proper areas and it still didn't help. He has used my 1903 and said it's much easier to cock. Could a new striker spring help? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Eddie
Old 09-10-2017, 03:03 PM

Try your bolt in his rifle. Or, just swap bolt bodies. I had a 1903a3 bolt that was next to impossible to operate with the original (rebuild replacement) bolt body. I replaced the bolt body and it was fine.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:03 PM

As a test, switch bolts between your two rifle's and see if your personal rifle's bolt will cycle fine or if it binds. if your's cycles fine, then i would concentrate on his bolt. Check your striker spring against his for length - did someone put in an Xtra power spring?
Look for witness marks along the bolt and corresponding marks inside the rear part of receiver to see if it is rubbing - my m1941 acted like it was binding until i did a good cleaning and lubed the bolt and receiver area with Lubriplate - then it cycled like butter....
There is an armory proceedure for lapping the bolt to the rifle.

Here is an old thread on a 1903 bolt thats 'hard to open': http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-67981.html
Old 09-10-2017, 08:06 PM

Early WWII rifles were fitted with 29-coil mainsprings. They're stiff as a teenager on tadalafil. Try a different mainspring.

J.B.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Eddie . . . .
How about examining both yours, and your son's, mainspring . . . Looking for FLAT ends on each.
I'm wondering if the spring in your '03 was shortened a mite to get an easier bolt lift.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
Eddie . . . .
How about examining both yours, and your son's, mainspring . . . Looking for FLAT ends on each.
I'm wondering if the spring in your '03 was shortened a mite to get an easier bolt lift.
I disassembled my bolt and the spring is flat on both sides and has 35 coils and measures 4 5/16". I,m going to have mt son bring his rifle up on his next trip to compare the bolts & springs. Thanks to all of you that replied. I'm sure the fix is in one or more of your suggestions. Eddie
Old 09-15-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epm729 View Post
I disassembled my bolt and the spring is flat on both sides and has 35 coils and measures 4 5/16". I,m going to have mt son bring his rifle up on his next trip to compare the bolts & springs. Thanks to all of you that replied. I'm sure the fix is in one or more of your suggestions. Eddie
The 35-coil mainspring having flat ends is the easiest of all for opening the bolt.

Good Luck!

J.B.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:26 PM

Check the safety and the bolt shroud
The bolt may not be closing all the way causing the safety to bind
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 PM

The receiver has a slot in the rear tang where the nose of the cocking piece goes and rests against the trigger/sear. The right-hand side of that slot and the right-hand side of the cocking piece nose should be greased to reduce the force required to lift the bolt handle.

J.B.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:27 PM

My son disassembled the bolt and his rifle has a 29 coil spring. When cocking he observed the spring fully compressing before the bolt reached the top of it's throw,then the spring ground together on the last bit of upward travel. I think a new spring is in order, purchased a 35 coil spring from Gun Parts Corp.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts replies and solutions. Eddie