Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Just asking, but how are you measuring 4 to 6 pounds of upward pressure? Just by “feel”?
Old 09-27-2017, 03:39 PM

Hi WW,

Good point ! I'll look into the proper way to do that soon. I'm sure there is a You- Tube video showing that.

I helped my pal a few years ago. His method was to hang two 3 pound dumbbell's his wife had, from the very tip of the barrel! He applied some bearing grease to the barrel (no bonding to it) & some blue painters tape to the inside of the for-end of the stock to allow for side clearance, neatness & easy removal.

He put a blob of Marine - Tex where he felt it had to go, near the tip of the fore-end, carefully installed the action in the upside down stock.
Stock held in a padded vise- snugged up the action screws. Next day he removed the stock & action from the vise - removed the tape- cleaned up any extra bedding & has been very happy with the results.
It might not be the most correct way, but it worked!

Your note, has sparked my interest in maybe doing a even better more correct job.

Thanks for the reply,
broom
Old 09-27-2017, 03:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWagon View Post
Just asking, but how are you measuring 4 to 6 pounds of upward pressure? Just by “feel”?
I believe a trigger pull scale will work for that....
Old 09-27-2017, 05:44 PM

There are many 03A3 actions out there that were rebarreled without the need for the pressure near the end of the barrel. I have one in .270 WCF and it works as good as my eyes do. It does have a better sight though.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 AM

Hi Sir,

Missed your reply! It's a Lovely rifle!

That looks like my very first 03-A3. I have that rifle for over 45 years.
Still a wonderful rifle, harvested a bunch of deer with it!

Enjoy life,
broom
Old 10-04-2017, 01:56 PM

Generally speaking, 1903/A3 rifle in original type military stock set shoot best with tip (end) pressure on barrel as discussed here. It's easy to test by shimming the rear action bolt (put shim on top side under rear of receiver) to increase the barrel end pressure. The rifles I've seen that someone tried to free float the end section (in a military type stock) never shot very well (larger groups). There's a lot of parts rattling around of these rifles compared to a free floated modern sporting stocked action.

Last edited by lrdg1; 10-04-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:11 PM

Hi lrdg1,

I had a chance to shoot the rifle today, actually! I had done EXACTLY what you mentioned in your post, a while back. The rifle shot a bit tighter then the last outing. Cut up a business card -three layers thick & punched a hole through it so it can't move. The rear action screw holds it in place.

I discovered that the stock at the fore-end is thinner then the other 03 A3 stock. I guess someone had cleared it years ago. The steel pillar is also more exposed at the tang / trigger guard area. Guess the stock has shrunk a bit in 70 + years. When I have time, I'll do a proper bedding job on the stock.

Now to figure out if I should just build up the front of the fore-end to the total thickness of the other stock. Or build up the rear area under the tang & the fore end.
I'll run that question past my gunsmith & the good people reading this post.

It's always the little things that make a big difference in making a accurate rifle - more accurate. I'm at the stage were I have some of the answers but not all of them!

Thanks for your reply,
broom
Old 10-05-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi lrdg1,

I had a chance to shoot the rifle today, actually! I had done EXACTLY what you mentioned in your post, a while back. The rifle shot a bit tighter then the last outing. Cut up a business card -three layers thick & punched a hole through it so it can't move. The rear action screw holds it in place.

I discovered that the stock at the fore-end is thinner then the other 03 A3 stock. I guess someone had cleared it years ago. The steel pillar is also more exposed at the tang / trigger guard area. Guess the stock has shrunk a bit in 70 + years. When I have time, I'll do a proper bedding job on the stock.

Now to figure out if I should just build up the front of the fore-end to the total thickness of the other stock. Or build up the rear area under the tang & the fore end.
I'll run that question past my gunsmith & the good people reading this post.

It's always the little things that make a big difference in making a accurate rifle - more accurate. I'm at the stage were I have some of the answers but not all of them!

Thanks for your reply,
broom
You may want to do a search in CMP forum for threads (a couple years ago) about stock fitting 1903s. There was a lot of experience disseminated in those threads by people who have spent many hours fitting and fixing stocks. A guy named Wes has great experience in this area too (he also had to build up the stock wood end "cradle" area on one rifle, there were pics of what he did). With respect to the pad (cradle) missing on the end of a 1903 stock (military type stock), that is not uncommon. I think people thought by removing that pad their rifles would shoot better, thinking along the lines of free-floating. If you want to free-float, it is advisable to use a modern sporting stock. I'm not sure what you mean by "steel pillar", original GI stocks were all wood, including the recoil lug area unlike Mauser rifles of the same vintage that have steel recoil cross member in the recoil lug area. Hope this help!

PS the main trick for fitting 1903 stock is to remove all wood/metal contact except at the front and real action screws/pads, including no contact between the trigger guard and receiver. Also need full level contact at recoil lug area (no cracks in the wood too). And barrel end pressure as discussed above. To be CMP games legal no shimming or bedding is allowd, even though it was a normal armorer repair back in the day to shim that rear action screw area to increase end pressure on the barrel (they all knew that was needed to get the excellent performance 1903's are capable of in military configuration).

Last edited by lrdg1; 10-05-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:11 PM

Broom try this thread on the CMP forum.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=158451

Regards
Bill
Old 10-05-2017, 04:55 PM

Hi lrdg1,

"I'm not sure what you mean by "steel pillar", original GI stocks were all wood"-Quote

Yes the stock is all wood. But there are two steel stamped -tubes- that pass through the wood stock around the stock screws.
Apparently they are there to prevent someone crushing the wood under the receiver / & hand-guard. Both of my 03-A3's have them.
I have been fooling with rifles for 50 years & I'm finding out I just skimmed the surface all this time!

Thanks for your post,
broom