Old 10-05-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAMVET1970 View Post
Broom try this thread on the CMP forum.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=158451

Regards
Bill
Hi Bill,

My "Google foo " is VERY poor, I never use the "correct search terms!
That post has lots of info in it, I'm going to make a hard copy, so I can have it in front of me as I tinker.

Thanks!
broom
PS -Nam is a lovely country, if no one is shooting or planting bombs in your area! Yes! the rainy season is a drag.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:22 PM

Each and every rifle is different. Some milsurp and sporting arms like free floated barrels, some don't--regardless of original design.

Next time you see a seasoned reloader doing load developemt on a sporting rifle don't be surprised to see him stick a matchbook between the stock and barrel checking for improvements.

The barrel band screw on '03s are sometimes called "group tighteners". I always tighten mine to the same spot in the hope of not fixing what ain't broke by changing barrel tension. I have had two 03A3s and one 03 and all of them had different barrel pressure of a few pounds. And they all shot great.

Last edited by DJEinConcord; 10-05-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broomhandle View Post
Hi lrdg1,

"I'm not sure what you mean by "steel pillar", original GI stocks were all wood"-Quote

Yes the stock is all wood. But there are two steel stamped -tubes- that pass through the wood stock around the stock screws.
Apparently they are there to prevent someone crushing the wood under the receiver / & hand-guard. Both of my 03-A3's have them.
I have been fooling with rifles for 50 years & I'm finding out I just skimmed the surface all this time!

Thanks for your post,
broom
Understand now. On new 1903 military stock sets (like what CMP sells, FYI that wood is soft) I sometimes don't use those tubes, just depends on how things line up. For stocks that I have used them in, I trim the tube back so there's a good squeeze on the wood between the trigger guard and receiver. I think those tubes may crush down somewhat too (the newer thin ones), but if it did not it could cause receiver movement at the rear of the stock (not good). On original GI stocks those tubes are stuck in there pretty good, I just leave them in place. It all depends what you want to do. For CMP games rifle build with a new GI stock set, best fit for ultimate accuracy (within their rules) is goal. It can be a lot of work setting one of these up, especially the first time. Learn by doing, but go slow at first else you'll be buying additional stocks (unless you're bedding of course). Good luck!

Last edited by lrdg1; 10-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEinConcord View Post
Each and every rifle is different. Some milsurp and sporting arms like free floated barrels, some don't--regardless of original design.

Next time you see a seasoned reloader doing load developemt on a sporting rifle don't be surprised to see him stick a matchbook between the stock and barrel checking for improvements.

The barrel band screw on '03s are sometimes called "group tighteners". I always tighten mine to the same spot in the hope of not fixing what ain't broke by changing barrel tension. I have had two 03A3s and one 03 and all of them had different barrel pressure of a few pounds. And they all shot great.
Totally agree! I have an older M700 BDL varminter in 308 where the barrel is in full contact with the stock end to end (absolutely no free float), and it's a tack driver. Have an excellent shooting CMP stocked 03A3 that has a fair amount of barrel end pressure (~10 lbs guessment). Even screwed up that end cradle area before I new better (widen it a bit too much), which I think by dumb luck helped by eliminating small amount of side pressure that had existed.

Last edited by lrdg1; 10-10-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 PM

Hi Guys,

Some what OFF TOPIC- but rifle accuracy related.

I have a older Ruger #1 (30-06)with the red rubber butt plate. Depending on the day the rifle was a tack driver! Other days I had to be in the barn to hit a wall!
Read up on Ruger two piece stock issues. With help from the fine bunch of guys at the Ruger #1 board.
I made three or four minor "adjustments" to the sight mounting rail & a few other spots on the fore-stock. Now it shoots well, EVERY day!
I would have never thought to adjust the area's, they recommended.

We all have a screwdriver, but do "WE" know which way to turn the screwdriver. LOL

Best wish's to all of you,
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 10-10-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: grammer