Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2017, 09:11 AM

Default 1955 US Navy Trophy Rifle, Remington model 720 on Gunbroker

don't see these beautiful bolt-action Navy Trophy rifles for sale much.

Gunbroker auction number is: 691457212
Old 09-15-2017, 01:40 PM

Well, that's sort of "interesting". I knew Charlie Frazier when he was a guru in the Match Shop at SATU and Crane. If that was a Navy rifle, it's been seriously worked over. The Navy never bought any 270's, and I don't see any acceptance stamps on the wood. Charlie was a master gunsmith so he was certainly capable of doing that rework.

In my day (1980's), when you won one of these (I won 2) they gave you a little blurb with the history of the SECNAV trophy rifles. I'm pretty sure that it said the 720's were not released from war reserves for use as trophy rifles until about 1960. The blurb was written by ......... Charlie Frazier. Now I'm going to have search frantically to find it.

Here's an old crappy picture of one of mine.

Respectfully,
Bob S

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 09-17-2017, 01:57 PM

Default I'm here to learn.

After I posted, I actually searched for model 720s for sale and got an eyefull.

That same seller is big in 720s.

There are a surprising number of examples for sale.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:00 PM

Default Just for the record:

the aforementioned model 720 rifle auctioned off for $1700
Old 09-28-2017, 11:50 AM

I own one of the five Remington 720 Rifles won by AD1 Donald Hamilton as a pistol champion at the National Matches in 1968. I purchased it from Don in 1971. Mine is marked with a plaque inset in the left butt stock that reads:
"Secretary of the Navy
High Navy Pistol Shooter at
National Championship Match
1968"
When I bought the rifle from Don I suggested that he provide a signed letter as provenance when he sold the rifles. At one time he owned five. He provided me the letter which I have on file with the bill of sale. Don was the national Pistol Champ in 1965-1966-1969.
As far as I can tell, no modifications were made to the rifle other than the addition of the plate. I have seen other Remington Presentationsrifles and have never seen any modifications to them other than an inscription ,for what it is worth.
I contacted Remington and they could provide very little information other than there were ~ 1000 rifles produced. I believe that I have read somewhere that some state organization (i.e. ,police or militia,) purchased some small quantity but I cannot confirm this.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:33 PM

Bob S
There is a good write up on the Model 720 Remington and the USN on the NRA Museum page.
FWIW
Old 09-28-2017, 04:23 PM

I have been notified that I received a reply to my entry on the bolt action forum but I do not know how to open or retrieve it
Old 09-30-2017, 04:08 PM

Remington 720 Rifle Trivia

In a for what it's worth department.
There is a Remington 720 rifle being advertised on the internet for ~$400- the big problem is that it is missing the bolt. Finding a spare 720 bolt may be very difficult if not impossible considering the quantity that were manufactured. There is/are a couple of solutions.
After careful side-by-side visual comparison of my Remington 30S bolt with my 720 bolt body, I find that they look practically identical in dimensions. The big difference is in the cocking cam. The 720 was modified to have a short firing pin fall by increasing the length of the front end of the cocking piece. This necessitates a shallower cocking cam on the 720 bolt. The firing pin assemblies are practically identical except for the cocking piece and the firing pin. The firing pin on the 720 is ~ 1/16th inch longer than on the 30S pin to compensate for the shorter fall. I believe that the Remington 30S bolt would work very well in the 720 but it would have to be the entire 30S bolt including the firing pin assembly. I am not about to fire my unfired Trophy 720 to prove this however. After a comparison with the M1917 bolt, I believe that it could also be used in the 720 rifle. The M1917 bolt would lack the guide rib found on the later 30S and the 720 bolts.
A careful examination of the 720 receiver leads me to believe that it too was fabricated on a modified M1917 receiver or manufactured on M1917 equipment. There is even a hole where the rear sight spring screw on the M1917 would be- it is untapped though. The bolt release on the 720 is different on the receiver. The trigger guard, the magazine cover plate and the front guard screw assembly on the 720 are apparently aluminum . There is no "quick" release for the 720 floor plate. A third screw just forward of the trigger guard must be loosened to remove the floor plate.

Remington 30S bolts come up from time to time. The early Remington30 bolts still had the cock-on-closing features. Sarco or Potomac arms imported a bunch of Remington M1934 rifles built on the 30S action in 7mm caliber for Honduras and at one time had 30S bolts. I bought them and used them in M1927's to get the cock-on -opening action.

Last edited by Cosine26; 09-30-2017 at 04:19 PM.