Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Default Rimfire Sporter Starter Rifle suggestions?

Subject says it all.....

If you were looking to start, what rifle would you recommend for this sport?

Looking to start w/ scope.

Thanx

Ham
Old 09-26-2017, 09:00 PM

1. Virtually all .22s are accurate enough for RF Sporter. Good ammo will make a difference. 2. There is no reason to select a manually operated rifle. The additional time allowed for manually operated is not enough to make up for the autoloader advantage in rapids. However, because of the screwed up rapid fire procedure, absolute reliability is essential. 3. Most competitors will select a clip fed autoloader such as the Ruger 10-22, Tompson Center, etc. 4. A good sling is helpful as is considerable testing and practice. You will find many posts in this thread on the subject of RF Sporter. Try pages 15, 16, 17...much good info there. Good Shooting. ..

Last edited by ceresco; 09-26-2017 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:46 AM

Get an off-the-shelf Ruger 10/22 LVT (light varmint target). Be careful with your scope and ring choice to make sure it stays within weight requirements. Cut the sling loops off as they are not wide enough. Drill the hole through the stud, then put some wider strap loops on there so you can use a military web sling. You can fix up the trigger later. My two cents.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:49 AM

I tried the bolt action route with a CZ 452 American, but breaking position to operate the bolt was killing me.
Old 09-27-2017, 11:28 AM

I would go with a Ruger 10/22. You may already have one, and there are infinite ways to customize them, even within the RFS rules, if you decide to do that down the line. The only thing I would warn you about is that the factory trigger might be a little heavy, and a lot of replacement triggers are too light to make weight. So be careful there.

If you decide that you absolutely must have a bolt-action, any CZ, up to and including the Ultra Lux (if you can find one), will do the job.

Ceresco is also right about reliability and the sling.