Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2017, 02:41 PM

Default WWII story from a vet...

Took a neighbor to an Oncology Clinic this AM. Waiting in waiting room, an older fellow came in with the cap. "WWII", I asked.

He said Merchant Marine during the war, then Navy afterward. "Bet you could tell some stories, huh".

And he told one. His ship dumped supplies in a north African port, late '44, and as they left, they got SOS; another supply ship had just gotten sunk off the coast; pick up survivors. He said they plucked many out of the drink, one of whom who was doing his best to keep his new guitar out of the ocean.

Thanks for your service...
Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Hi Sir,

My dad's best friend was a guy named Rocky. He was a good spirited guy- full of life & fun. He was a guy that seemed to be able to fix anything -from a old ringer washing machine, the kitchen stove - to cars & trucks.
We were from a area called Astoria- in Queens a part of NYC

He was in the Merchant Marine too. He was torpedoed three times. His worse trip's were to northern Russia- Murmansk & another port up there,during the winter.( I think it paid more ) He said he always had his life jacket on(or right next to him) & small suitcase that he had taped shut. Containing a change of cloths- copy's of his seaman papers & some extra food was always by his side in the suitcase.

After the first trip to Russia the guys on the ship were cheering, as they came into port. They had been shot at by German aircraft a few times & were happy as hel- to be in port.
The dock workers just looked up at them like they did not care.
He found out later, they were all political prisoners of one type or another of the commies. It was apparent, most of them did not care one bit if the Americans lived or died.
He was in a life boat off of Africa for two days one time. When he got home to NYC he always had fresh fruit, tobacco, cigars, some times hard liquor from where ever & other items that were in short supply do to rationing.
He always bragged that he shipped with the best group of sailors ever & never got his feet wet during all three sinking's. I was about 5 or 6 at the time, I still have a carved monkey he gave me from Africa!

May they all rest easy now,
broomhandle
Old 10-09-2017, 04:56 PM

Default I worked with a guy who was a MM during WW2

He said that a German sub was just sitting at low tide in the Mississippi delta nailing every ship that turned east. He was on a tanker that happened to turn west. The tanker was several days into the voyage and the guy kept seeing a sail boat shadowing them. The old salt working with him correctly told him that it was the sub disguising itself as a sailing vessel. The next morning it torpedoed the tanker. The men were in a lifeboat and the sub surfaced next to the lifeboat to ask if the guys needed anything. They asked for water and the Uboat captain told them that they were having trouble with their distiller and couldn't spare anything, They gave the men some bread and a few tins of canned goods. The men then asked for cigarettes and the Captain pointed out the gallons of fuel oil in the lifeboat and said matches were a poor idea. One of the merchant marine crew men then stood and stuck out his arm and shouted "Heil Hitler" at which point he was knocked senseless with an oar. The Uboat captain laughed and wished them luck.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:06 PM

Default U-Boats in the Gulf

There were German U-Boats in the Gulf during the early part of the war, sitting off New Orleans and other ports, waiting for targets. IIRC, the boats were the longer range units like the Type-9's. The Roosevelt administration for a long period refused to publiclly confirm their presence for security reasons. But the Navy and USCG knew they were out there and were on watch. At least one was sunk in the Gulf with all hands. It was located a few years ago by an oil company survey crew.