Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Cutout on 1917 Eddystone Hand Guard?

Was at a local Cabelas this afternoon and noticed they had a 1917 Eddystone for sale. Looked to be in good condition but I noticed that on both sides of the rear upper hand guard (next to receiver) there were half circles cut out (one on each side opposite of each other)? In addition I noticed the left side of the stock had a brass plate on it with what appeared to be elevation or angles (for grenade launcher?)

Thoughts?

Thank you
Old 10-01-2017, 08:06 PM

The brass plate sounds like the stocks on some P-14's I've seen. Out of curiosity I just used the images search on google and found a few examples that had cut outs on the rear handguard that match your description.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:13 PM

I did a quick search and was not able to find an image but sounds like they are out there. Will be interesting to see if anyone has an explanation?
Old 10-01-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbayne View Post
Was at a local Cabelas this afternoon and noticed they had a 1917 Eddystone for sale. Looked to be in good condition but I noticed that on both sides of the rear upper hand guard (next to receiver) there were half circles cut out (one on each side opposite of each other)? In addition I noticed the left side of the stock had a brass plate on it with what appeared to be elevation or angles (for grenade launcher?)

Thoughts?

Thank you
The half circles on the rear handguard are from a "DP" rifle... (Drill Purpose)

When the turned them into DP rifles the drilled right through the HG, stock and chamber ... demilling them.

The stock should have similar damage...there should "DP" stamps in several locations including the bolt and receiver...

It's possible this one had the barrel pulled and shortened them rechambered...as mine was.. I then rebarreled it with a criterion... my stock has been repaired but I still need new replacement handguards and some minor bits.. shoots VERY nice with the new barrel however...
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM

The brass plate you are wondering about is for the long range volleysight. It is usually on a P14 so you might have a mix master of parts............
Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the information --- does sound like a mix master including parts from a DP rifle. For $699 think I'll pass (especially since buying two Garands this year I'm "supposed" to wait a year before adding to the collection)
Old 10-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Looks like someone put a 1917 into P14 (DP) wood and it ended up at Cabelas where they attached a big price tag in hopes that someone would bite. Familiar story. Good Shooting. ...
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM

If this was the Tulalip WA store, that Eddystone is setting in a Drill Purpose (DP) Pattern 14 stock. Have handled that rifle. Sonsidering how nuch they want for it and what US Model 1917 stocks go for now days, they want too much money for a run of the mill Eddy in the wrong stock. If your looking, I'll be selling a couple M1917s from my personal collection at the Puyallup show at the end of the month.