Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2017, 11:16 AM

Default Scope Choices for Service Rifle

I've narrowed it to two I can afford. One is the 4x Leupold. The custom shop offers some upgrades that might be useful i.e. 250 yard parallax, M1 turrets and even a reticle swap if desired. I would have to shoot it as is for a while.

Next is the Vortex 1-4 PST. I like Vortex stuff but the adjustments are 1/2 minute.

I'd like to cap it at $350 for glass even if I have to buy used. What else is out there?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 10-02-2017, 03:54 PM

I would say if you can find a Vortex then that would be the route I would go. the Burris MTAC with the Ballistic AR reticle also works well. I wouldn't worry too much about parallax. I shot with the Burris for a year and that has a 100 yard parallax. I had no issues with it. shot a few personal best with it.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 PM

I recently moved from a 1/4" scope to the 1/2" Vortex and the 1/2" adjustment is not an issue.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:20 AM

Paul, I agree with Marty - parallax error isn't as significant as some seem to think. If your eye is centered in the exit pupil, there is no parallax error. If you eye is even close to being centered, the error is insignificant in the overall scheme of things.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 AM

If remotely concerned about parallax, the Ray Vin objective cover will alleviate any parallax issues. That or a homemade butler creek scope cap cover, with like a 1/8" hole drilled in the center. That will force a repeatable cheek weld and alleviate any parallax.

I also like the objective cover in rapid seated. It had revealed some head position issues I was having in seated.

R/
Chris Moriarty
Old 10-03-2017, 12:09 PM

Thumbs up

This is what I decided on for my Modern Mil and Service Rifles. Lightweight, tough, simple with a non-complicated reticle. I research several of the 1-4 to 1-4.5 variable scopes and hated the bold, BDC and illuminated reticles on all of them....and their typical heavy weights. This scope and an Aero lightweight cantilever mount allowed my Modern Mil rifle to meet weight restrictions that, with it's 20" barrel, I couldn't meet with several variable versions I tried.

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle...s/fx-ii-4x33mm
Old 10-03-2017, 06:39 PM

I've been shooting the Leupold Mark AR for going on 2 years now. Adjustments are reliable and repeatable. Haven't noticed any difference with the parallax, mine is stock 100 yards. It shoots where I aim it. Mine has a simple duplex reticle and I like it once I got used to it. Fired a match in very low light and didn't have the target alignment issues some with more complex reticles experienced. This is my scope. https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...15-4x20-115388
Old 10-08-2017, 08:44 PM

I have a yr and a half using a Leupold AR Mod 1 with strike dot. I have pretty bad eyes now and can't see/ focus on the crosshairs in most light conditions against the black. Having the green dot is a big help though adjusting the dot intensity while in a sling is pretty hard with the stupid push button set up.

I also have a PST , tried it and didn't like it.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Has anybody tried the new Hi-Lux Service Rifle scope yet? It looks like it would be the best in the Leopold/Vortex price range.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:05 AM

I have been shooting a Leupold Mark AR for most of this season. I think it cost me about $330 from Optics Planet, including the mount. I took a LOT of time to establish mechanical scope zero and then shim the scope in the mount on the rifle so that it shoots very close to zero at 100 yards with the scope mechanically zeroed. My head position is unchanged from my old A2 sights. My (mil) come ups are +7 clicks at 200 yards, +15 clicks at 300 yards and +50 clicks at 600 yards. I painted lines on the turrets once I had a really solid 100 yard zero and never looked back. Zeros and tracking are extremely reliable. My last couple of scores have been either master or high master and I am not too tired at the end of the match to drink beer. I have even beaten some guys shooting Nightforce glass, so don't think you need to mortgage the house. I like the simple cross hairs. You can quarter the aiming black at 600 and squeeeeze....