Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2017, 01:24 PM

Default How common is it to get an HRA 4.66mil M1? What parts are right?

I just received an HRA M1 service grade, ser no. 46651xx (I think by memory) but anyway very close to that, in the 4665xxx range. It has an HRA 3/8 DAS stock, original finish no rebuild marks, SA -6 op rod with large relief cut, SA trigger group, 4-53 HRA barrel, HRA rear sight, HRA gas screw and tube, walnut furniture, and WRA bolt. Very nice rifle but how common was it for me to get a rifle in that range? Is it considered early and what do you think about the parts, correct or not? Can try to post pics but I am terrible at IMGUR.
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:30 PM

Looks like you hit the jackpot. Not common and highly desirable. Sounds correct except for trigger group and bolt. Congrats!
Old 10-05-2017, 02:34 PM

My 4667 has an SA oprod. Your trigger group should be Hart manufacture )-( with possible a SA marked hammer.
Early HRA's are collectable and fun to learn about.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:48 PM

I had one with the ampersand anomaly.
That had some correct parts and was crazy accurate with M2,
Not claiming these were more accurate than others , that is just how it was.
A fella decided he really needed that rifle and I wasn't too partial to keeping it with his offer.
But finding correct info for it online was not too hard and helped me know what was what.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:18 AM

The alternate version of the ampersand(&) goes from the start to about 467......
Old 10-06-2017, 04:20 AM

they are not that unusual to find in a mixmaster, if its a correct rifle then its a more desireable rifle
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 AM

While not rare, there are 40,000 in the 4.66 million range, they are not shipped often by the CMP. The earlier and most desirable rifles in the 4.6 million range have the ampersand anomaly mentioned by jerryjeff and hunterX. These early rifles also have an Ordnance wheel-marked stocks, which are very uncommon and quite hard to find.

IMO, your rifle is too late for a Hart trigger group. By the time your rifle was produced, HRA had settled into full production and the parts on a 4.66 in your range are going to be pretty close to a 4.7 million, which means the use of appropriate HRA parts. I have 4660481 and 4664430, and both have Hart groups, the ampersand anomaly and Ordnance wheel stocks. I also have 4675132 and 4695625 and they have the 3/8" small box and HRA trigger groups.

https://i.imgur.com/ks1AOxS.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tt1FoLH.jpg

Last edited by MTC29; 10-06-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Just looked, my rifle has the ampersand anomaly and an ordndance wheel marked barrel in the op rod channel next to the date 4-53.
HRA gas screw also and non serifed circle P on bottom of wrist. Learning a lot here guys, thank you.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgmanvt View Post
Just looked, my rifle has the ampersand anomaly and an ordndance wheel marked barrel in the op rod channel next to the date 4-53.
HRA gas screw also and non serifed circle P on bottom of wrist. Learning a lot here guys, thank you.
Interesting. Lacking the ampersand, your serial number is later than any I've seen before. I still think it is too late for the Hart trigger group and Ordnance wheel stock, so the 3/8" small box would be correct, or at least it would be hard to prove it was not correct. There is a LOT about 4.66 HRA's that we don't know, and every time someone shares information we learn something.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:04 AM

Sorry, my serial number is 4665212, earlier than I thought. I'm at work and trying to do this and my work too! Yes it definitely has the backward 3 ampersand and 3/8 DAS stock
with scratches and dings extending through the wood to the handquards so I assume its all original wood, has matching color and patina. I think this is shaping up to be one of my favorites. With this ser no. should I look for a Hart group? And I read theres some overlap on the U marked HRA bolts with the D suffix drawing number, don't know what I should look for. Any additional comments are very appreciated! Thank you all.