Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Default CMP stock oil.

First, please no jumping on my case by the many “experts” for asking an apparently basic/stupid question about CMP stock finishing. I have no patience with any wood working but would only like to apply a thin coat of BLO to one of these new stocks. Does it require any additional preparation other than making certain the wood is clean by just wiping it down prior to the application. Just want to apply a thin coat of BLO to protect the wood somewhat from oils associated with regular maintenance cleaning. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:06 AM

Get some BLO. Apply to stock with your fingers, working a small area at a time, rubbing until you feel heat. Let the stock air dry for 30-45 minutes, wipe off excess/polish with a rag or paper towel. Do as many applications as you want.

Alternatively, you could just buy some Tom's 1/3, and use it (some on here don't care for it, but I like it ok).

Oh, and be careful with any rags or towels when wiping off BLO. They can spontaneously combust.....I soak them in water to be safe.

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-07-2017 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-06-2017, 11:52 AM

If you have ZERO patience and want to dress up and protect your CMP stock, get a can of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. It's a varnish type finish that protects the wood and dries to a satin sheen. It mimics USGI finish fairly well, and is somewhat more glossy after applications, but it's possible to buff down the shine with steel wool.

Follow the directions. It's way harder to buff after applying than BLO. You will definitely work your muscles buffing it. Make sure you use a lint free cloth. Because this CMP wood is sometimes pretty dry, you might have to do quite a few coats. No way around that no matter what oil you use.

I would not recommend this if you want to use an historic finish process, but I use this on some of my shooters and couldn't be happier.

Tony
Old 10-06-2017, 12:15 PM

Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to just take my good old time with this application.
Bob
Old 10-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Without completely stripping the CMP stock first the finish "may" come out blotchy. Its a crap shoot
Old 10-06-2017, 03:07 PM

I used Tru-Oil on my CMP wood. Got a nice gloss finish after three applications. Wipe on and let sit until dry. Before application of any finish, I would recommend taking some 0000 steel wool and go over the wood lightly. No need to rub hard.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:10 PM

If you have little patience for "wood finishing"
Just buy BLO or 100 pure tung oil and follow the directions. The wiping excess off and "rubbing dry" are key to a nice looking finish with out any sticky mess or gloss.
Also keep in mind the "finish" on the cmp stocks is a sprayed on fast drying coloring finish to basically keep the 3 parts close in appearance as to keep the complaints down for miss matched wood...
Personally I like tung oil it's easy, smells ok and looks good when applied correctly.
Also head the warnings of the rags. I use bounty paper towels they are pretty close to lint free
Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
lso head the warnings of the rags. I use bounty paper towels they are pretty close to lint free
I often use the heavy duty paper towel rolls that are found in Auto Parts stores for shop use. Much stronger and lint free.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:24 AM

Thanks for ALL the responses. I did apply the BLO with fingers, waited a while and completely wiped it down with a “lint free” paper towel. Looks great and I am now satisfied with the appearance of this new CMP stock.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:20 AM

Pictures or it didn't happen...