Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 02:47 PM

I thought all the houses had slate tiles on the roofs. Looks to me like the houses were burning from INSIDE out!!! Crazy. Plus all those nice homes were built almost on top of each other, no yards just houses 15 feet apart or less.

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index [email protected]

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 10-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Prayers to all those affected by this terrible event.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:16 PM

No sprinklers would have made a difference Sunday night. Winds were unprecedented gusting to 80 MPH and yes, most houses in Santa Rosa have tile or composite shingles. Nothing would have helped. Like a fire hurricane. The scary part was it was mostly urban with mini malls, pavement, parking lots, motels, industrial and residential. The fire went from 200 acres over the hill to SR to 20k in about 4 hours.
Old 10-10-2017, 04:53 PM

Default Bad Things May Always Happen ...

I'm retired fire service from a small very good agency. Stuff like this should not happen, but for whatever combination of events seems to. In lots of folk's cases HAS happened to. No matter how much fire suppressive force can be applied, it CAN NOT all be applied instantly. Or in one small area.

Thus the rub. I do not have the particulars in this horrible on going affair. Could the whole thing have been prevented? Probably not. It does not matter how much fire department you have or can possibly or economically provide, at some point in time and space events like this will happen. Non avoidable.

The insurance industry calls stuff like this "Acts Of God". Goes way back. Mother nature at times will bite us in the arse and let us know who is boss. This is one of those times. The first thing a rookie firefighter learns in the fire academy is that no matter how much you do, folks will die and property will be lost.

Sad, but there you have it.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:36 PM

Why does this occur?

Is this a "Do not touch the forest issue". People do not want management of debris and fire breaks to prevent these catastrophes? Don't people realize that fire is natures way of containing fire and by ensuring no set controlled burns that would otherwise be started by lightning the fire is all the worse when it comes.

Is it a budget issue? No money to manage the forest and too few resources to attack the fire before it gets out of hand.

Is it just too many houses in the woods issue?

Just a perfect storm fire, wind and right conditions?

I was hoping with the reports of California getting a surplus of precipitation the people of California could get a break.
Sorry for all that had losses. Scary pictures coming from that area.

Last edited by pmclaine; 10-10-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclaine View Post

Is it just too many houses in the woods issue?
I'm thinking this ^

Wealthy [understandably] develop remote areas, to be away from urban riff-raff. Whatchagonnado???
Old 10-10-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
No sprinklers would have made a difference Sunday night. Winds were unprecedented gusting to 80 MPH and yes, most houses in Santa Rosa have tile or composite shingles. Nothing would have helped. Like a fire hurricane. The scary part was it was mostly urban with mini malls, pavement, parking lots, motels, industrial and residential. The fire went from 200 acres over the hill to SR to 20k in about 4 hours.
No kidding on the wind. I am just on the south side of the Carquinez Straits from Napa. Was relatively calm at dinner time, then rip roaring gusts around 10pm or so, then around midnight the power went out.

I went outside with my 2 meter ham radio trying in vain to find out any info with no replies to my radio calls. Only lights I saw were the antennas on Mt. Diablo. The repeater was working but not a soul replied. Meaning no emergency communications had really started.

There were calls for six ham radio volunteers at lunch yesterday. When they call out the fat old guys it means it will take awhile...
Old 10-10-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post

I have a huge water tank about 1000' up the hill, so it would work for me, but if you have a well and no power, no go. Supposedly 99K have no power.
They have 200+ LEO from out of town locking down the evacuated areas and they are dead serious. Looters are out and about and are being arrested. The fire has now approached town from the south and is trying to come over Annadel County park and drop down into Bennett Valley. Again some of the highest price property in the state.
Like most stuff here in the Golden State, the officials have plans to provide free stuff to illegals but apparently no plan to save their city from burning to the ground. The fire people are letting a lot of structures just burn (Like the Fountaingrove Hilton Hotel) and at the same time telling us that flying embers are causing most of the spreading fires. Does that make any sense at all? A subdivision is gone and yet open gas lines are burning unabated at most foundations. I have yet to see more than a half dozen firefighters actually putting out fires. It is all about people standing around acting busy and important while the destroyed neighborhoods still are burning. Our mayor had a press conference and looked like he was going to start sobbing at any moment. They are completely lost in space and haven't a clue. Amateur hour for sure.
Well that is typical for most of gov't to stand around and let things happen. Now when it comes to the town hall, police station, fire stations, you will see a concerted effort to keep those from burning. Did see today that they were able to get the fire bombers up on at least one of the fires. And burning embers can be doused with just a 1 GPM low volume sprinkler. Keeping the roof wet with city water would be the better way to go than wells.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Series Of Rare Converging Events ...

A unfortunate series of converging powerful events. Urban interface. That means too many people and properties in or near the woods. Too much population. Too much fire fuel. Lots of other stuff comes time on target. Drought. Fuel. Hurricane force wind gusts.

No practical fire preventive measures would have worked. The fire actually blew through the windows and walls of homes and businesses. Nothing would have stopped it. Nothing. The only way to live is to run as fast as you can as far as you can. That or die hard.

Roof sprinklers? Not in those conditions. The water spray would be instantly turned to steam which fires sometimes like. Even heavy 2" tip water monitors at 100 psi pressure flowing 1000+ gpm would be useless. It is hard to imagine such fire conditions. Sad.

Firefighters are only human. Lots of places they might have held their ground and made their stand but they would have burned and died. Even 50 fire companies and 200 men heavily concentrated with an ultimate water supply would have also just roasted. Wow.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:18 PM

I suspect that the people at Cal Fire have been cutting back on air tankers. One old time guy said on tv today that he has never seen so little resources to fight these fires. My friend says that the state has been hassling the air tanker folks about having recip engines and the aircraft in general. So the tanker people have just stopped doing this stuff in a lot of cases.
My two sons are being evacuated from Bennett Valley as we speak and coming over here. They had 75 houses burn out near Oakmont. and there just isn't any fire response. I've not seen any air tankers yet. I'd bet the loss just from Fountaingrove and Larkfield will be $1B. The State stepped in the $hit big time on this one. Multi million dollar wineries are being burned up with no response. You wonder how a city can just let 100 houses burn? We have lots of cops to stand around and hassle people, no shortage of that. Nobody to man a hose.