Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 03:27 PM

What about HOA's?

In CA, it sure seems to me that they'd reserve funds first and foremost for PRIVATE / Charter flight ops for water or retardant drops???????

ed.:
Or even have a drop program set up on paper, WITH ADJUSTED HOME OWNERS PREMIUMS, DEFERRED / ADJUSTED DEDUCTIBLES ???

Last edited by ACampComLegacy; 10-12-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:43 PM

Larry Glad to hear the fire didn't move to you. The Fires are spread over a large area ...air tankers can only do so much... In medicine its Triage .... same here the homes that can be saved with resources at hand get the Tankers. What is MOST disturbing to me is the lack of info on the CAUSE of all this...its not lightning or a Cigar....its deliberate Arson .... in my O Pine.... by the nature of the calls times and location. My Cousin is a FF out of San Jose...hes working like a dog... this is flat awful event. I can assure from personal experience the Air Tanker folks and FF are doing their best...Thankless Job.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardhuge View Post
Larry Glad to hear the fire didn't move to you. The Fires are spread over a large area ...air tankers can only do so much... In medicine its Triage .... same here the homes that can be saved with resources at hand get the Tankers. What is MOST disturbing to me is the lack of info on the CAUSE of all this...its not lightning or a Cigar....its deliberate Arson .... in my O Pine.... by the nature of the calls times and location. My Cousin is a FF out of San Jose...hes working like a dog... this is flat awful event. I can assure from personal experience the Air Tanker folks and FF are doing their best...Thankless Job.
I actually strongly suspect the cause will be failed, downed or slapping PG&E utility lines. Hurricane force 80 MPH gusts will do that everytime even on the best maintained systems which PG&E's are not. Given the terrain where these fires started the lines are the most suspect cause.

I would have glady kissed the ****** of the pilots of the DC10 that was dropping in the valley below me during the Valley Fire. They saved every home on the mountain I live on.

Last edited by lapriester; 10-12-2017 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM

Today lots of fire trucks moving into area and some air tankers (C130s) are flying into the airport. The problem is that while a plan was being put together, the fire grew and smaller fires started. They don't have a chance of getting this thing out anytime soon. To show you how crazy California is: The Cal Fire official who apparently is in charge and making decisions was saying that they plan on bringing in firemen from Australia. That makes a lot of sense. Why not India? Meanwhile a lot of great people are busting their asses dealing with reality. Saw Gavin Newsom and Mike Thompson on TV today telling us what a great job they are doing. God help us.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHH View Post
Today lots of fire trucks moving into area and some air tankers (C130s) are flying into the airport. The problem is that while a plan was being put together, the fire grew and smaller fires started. They don't have a chance of getting this thing out anytime soon. To show you how crazy California is: The Cal Fire official who apparently is in charge and making decisions was saying that they plan on bringing in firemen from Australia. That makes a lot of sense. Why not India? Meanwhile a lot of great people are busting their asses dealing with reality. Saw Gavin Newsom and Mike Thompson on TV today telling us what a great job they are doing. God help us.
India. LOL. "Please listen carefully, as our FIREFIGHTING options have recently changed. Due to heavy call volume, wiat time may be extended. To leave a callback #, ... Para Espanol, oprima el numero uno. Para conflagracion, vaya con Dios, y ademas, haul a55 AHORA!"
Old 10-13-2017, 03:42 AM

Default Resources Coming In From All Over? ...

An informed reliable source tells me fifty, (50) Engines will be or have been sent from the State of Oregon as of around 12 noon, PDT, Wednesday, 11 October, 2017. No mention of Apparatus type, responding Agencies, staffing levels or support personal. This is getting serious.

A question that must be asked is why this did not happen at the get go? And ... is Cal Fire more about smoke and mirrors, (pun not intended) and less about hard fire suppression endeavors? From Australia? WTF? But there will always be detractors, including me. Not good.

The Federalization of the American Fire Service Continues. Did not used to be like this. Each Agency had detailed plans, both Automatic Aid and Mutual Aid with neighboring fire agencies within the State. Not Nationally. Not Internationally. But how else would it all happen?

I guess this fire complex would qualify as "The Big One!".

Last edited by HB of CJ; 10-13-2017 at 01:35 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-13-2017, 10:50 AM

2800 homes burned just in Santa Rosa. "Peanuts" creator Charles Schultz's estate burned to the ground. Wind expected tonight to be 50 mph in some of the fire areas.
Old 10-13-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB of CJ View Post
An informed reliable source tells me fifty, (50) Engines will be or have been sent from the State of Oregon as of around 12 noon, PDT, Wednesday, 12 October, 2017. No mention of Apparatus type, responding Agencies, staffing levels or support personal. This is getting serious.

A question that must be asked is why this did not happen at the get go? And ... is Cal Fire more about smoke and mirrors, (pun not intended) and less about hard fire suppression endeavors? From Australia? WTF? But there will always be detractors, including me. Not good.

The Federalization of the American Fire Service Continues. Did not used to be like this. Each Agency had detailed plans, both Automatic Aid and Mutual Aid with neighboring fire agencies within the State. Not Nationally. Not Internationally. But how else would it all happen?

I guess this fire complex would qualify as "The Big One!".
One could argue this in two ways. CalFire didn't request aid from Oregon soon enough (doubtfull) or Oregon didn't send it until Wednesday....or it didn't arrive until Wed. Remember, the severity and scope wasn't fully realized until Monday morning late. Assets arriving from Oregon on Wed is not an unreasonable length of time even if requested on Monday. They don't exactly travel all the way at Code 3 and it takes a minimum of a day or more just to prep to leave.

I see no blame to point to or assume here.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:13 PM

You are right Larry. The other states that are sending firefighters have to draw these people from all different areas so as not to leave thier own state without protection. Getting all these people and thier equipment into a staging area to make the trip just takes time. I also see no blame here. A fire like this, coming in just a couple of hours with no warning, is overwhelming to any emergency services, including fire, police, and medical.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapriester View Post
One could argue this in two ways. CalFire didn't request aid from Oregon soon enough (doubtfull) or Oregon didn't send it until Wednesday....or it didn't arrive until Wed. Remember, the severity and scope wasn't fully realized until Monday morning late. Assets arriving from Oregon on Wed is not an unreasonable length of time even if requested on Monday. They don't exactly travel all the way at Code 3 and it takes a minimum of a day or more just to prep to leave.

I see no blame to point to or assume here.
In our state, when assets were asked for it could easily take 3 days to get there.The call might come on a Monday around noon to a local field station. That day, the crews would be told that Tuesday, they would load and prep for movement. Tuesday would be spent loading and tying down the equipment, filling coolers, and getting plans for trip ready. Wednesday would be spent traveling in a convoy. As we have statewide wideload permits, we can go anywhere but not at a great rate of speed. To get to Pensacola, from here would take a 12+ hour drive at the speed our cranes are limited to. As we abide by the CDL rules, that means either two drivers or you have to stop after 10 hours in the seat. So that means on Thursday morning they would be ready to go to work at the soonest. When things are non-emergency, they leave on Mondays and return the people after two weeks. With other crews just driving up in a van or three for the next two week shift. This has been done a number of times with the people making at least two rotations.