Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original Youngblood View Post
You kept it in a low-RH environment, that is what saved your bore. The potassium chloride deposited by the chlorate primers required humidity to do its damage.

Yep - was looking for this...

Curious tho'; did you remember to check 10 y/o headstamps AFTER looking in the bore ?
Old 10-10-2017, 10:59 AM

After learning about possible corrosive ammo I checked the headstamps first. Then I pulled the rifle from the back of the safe to clean and inspect it

Barrel is brand new, so TE and ME should be <1 easily. I will scrub with JB this weekend. I need to load some ammo for it myself, and throw away the KA stuff.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:13 PM

Looks like the is some "freckling" in the grooves. I did the same thing once with KA ammo. I put the rifle in the safe and meant to clean it later. Months later the barrel was pitted. I couldn't stand to look at it after that and sold it.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:56 AM

I'm more concerned about that ring in the chamber...who cut the headpspace?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1715468131859756/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 10-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
That is a good question, I have no idea! I will definitely take a look at the chamber now that you mention it. I don't have any other m1's so I have nothing to compare it to.

Here is the text from the auction when I bought it 12 years ago:

Flawless condition, June-Sept 1944 Springfield M1 Garand. This rifle has a no questions asked, 100% refund, if not in perfectly flawless condition as stated and seen in photos. This rifle does not have the slightest ding in the stock or a single scratch or abrasion anywhere on the metal. It has been perfectly restored and maintained. It has a new barrel with no sign of wear. This rifle includes the following parts in original / perfect mint condition, WWII era rear lock bar sights, gas port, uncut original WWII era operating rod and all interior parts (Including all internal components including the bolt). Also all parts have been re-parkerized and match. This wood is perfect condition walnut and has been hand rubbed with boiled linseed oil. The stock does not have any cartouches or stamps. No other finishes of any kind have been applied to the wood.

Question: Do you know the throat and muzzle erosion specs?
Answer: Yes, it is a new replacement barrel with less than 20 rounds through it.

Question: What parts are original to the WWII era? Answer: The parts that are not WWII era are the wood and the barrel. Everything other than the wood and the barrel are WWII era. The following parts are WWII era, the gas cylinder, plug, front sight, locking screw, the operating rod (rare un-cut operating rod) the Ferrule, the receiver, the bolt and inside parts (firing pin) the slide mechanism, the entire rear sight and the entire trigger guard assembly & butt plate.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2171 View Post
I checked this tonight. The ring is purely visual, there is no depth to it. Weird.

Well, interesting day. I went to range today with some of my reloads from last night. Sierra 150 grain SPBT Gameking over 46.5 grains of IMR 4895, CCI 200 primer, Federal brass. Shot 24 rounds, average velocity right around 2650 fps. A little faster than I thought it would be, was going for 2600 fps. Will probably back off a 1/2 grain. Rifle cycled perfectly, no signs of pressure on the brass. But the Garand is really tough on the brass when ejecting, beat up the case rims pretty good. Interesting part was looking in the barrel when I got home. It looked really smooth! I then cleaned it thoroughly, scrubbed it with JB bore paste, cleaned again, and oiled it. Barrel went to looking crappy again! I think this one will just get seasoned and stay "dirty". Accuracy was good, better than my eyes are at 100 yards, photos attached.

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-11-2017 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-11-2017, 11:28 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotis View Post
Well, interesting day. I went to range today with some of my reloads from last night. Sierra 150 grain SPBT Gameking over 46.5 grains of IMR 4895, CCI 200 primer, Federal brass. Shot 24 rounds, average velocity right around 2650 fps. A little faster than I thought it would be, was going for 2600 fps. Will probably back off a 1/2 grain. Rifle cycled perfectly, no signs of pressure on the brass. But the Garand is really tough on the brass when ejecting, beat up the case rims pretty good. Interesting part was looking in the barrel when I got home. It looked really smooth! I then cleaned it thoroughly, scrubbed it with JB bore paste, cleaned again, and oiled it. Barrel went to looking crappy again! I think this one will just get seasoned and stay "dirty". Accuracy was good, better than my eyes are at 100 yards, photos attached.

Now all you have is normal copper fouling on a barrel that hasn't been fully broken in. Put away the Bore Paste and buy a decent copper solvent and you'll have a cleaner bore. Bore Paste is not really a very good copper remover, as you can plainly see. Even then, some of that copper fouling will remain and it generally improves accuracy. You're being too anal about this. Leave the existing moderate fouling without using a copper solvent and store the rifle for an extended period and you'll end up with a green bore. Then you'll really freak out, and again for no real reason.

Oh, and that ring in the chamber? That's probably a light scratch caused by reaming debris from the person doing the reaming not cleaning the reamer and chamber often enough during the process. I doubt it will ever cause you problems. Is there a corresponding mark on the fired brass? No? Ignore it or spin some fine steel wool with that Bore Paste and polish that fine scratch out. Better yet go with the former....ignore it.

Please clean that rust out of the gas plug left over from shooting that KA crap.

Last edited by Big_Red; 10-11-2017 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Snipped redundant pics from reply
Old 10-12-2017, 03:14 AM

-Snipped redundant pics from reply.- by Big_Red. Great idea, more people should take the time to do that. It's just "good housekeeping" and makes the thread cleaner and easier to read. And it makes you look like you know what you're doing.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 AM

Man I hope your still not working all but 6 days a year still..... But if your building a Business thats the cost sometimes...... anyway Copper traces...as others said 100% clean and lube the rifle. I would use a Domed gas plug and shoot Commercial ammo in it myself...I don't trust 50+YO ammo.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:01 PM

What you experienced is what a lot of shooters find when they "clean" the bore.
Take it as a "could have been worse" moment.
As stated shoot it and enjoy it.

Will also remind people. If you have a gun you think has a nice bore. Do not stick a bore scope down that tube!
Almost all my rifles have that "salty" or "frosted" look in the grooves. One of my better shooting rifles looks so much worse than yours.