Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 10:47 AM

Default Advice requested on recent acquired garand

Just received a Garand purchased on a whim from an auction site. The barrel was shot out so I replaced it with a counter bored one I had laying around. After resolving most of my problems, mostly being NOT ejecting the spent cartridge, everything works correctly except it will not feed any rounds automatically. The enbloc was used in another rifle and functioned perfectly. I even tried a different enbloc resulting in the same miss feed problem. Its like a single feed operation. The ejected cartridges land exactly where they should, but I have to manually cycle every cartridge. Any suggestion would be welcomed. By the way I tried my ammo & enblocs in a CMP rifle and they worked perfectly.

Last edited by snuffy1a; 10-10-2017 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Corrected mis-spellings
Old 10-10-2017, 11:31 AM

I'm not a expert by any means, but I have yet to see a counterbored Garand barrel. Wonder if the lack of pressure from that counterbore is effecting the gas assembly.
“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

CTNC (IW) / 1995-Current U.S. NAVY
NAVY CHIEF, NAVY PRIDE!

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=203599
Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM

Does the bolt close on an empty chamber rather than picking up the next round? Or does it pick up the round but not fully close?
Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 AM

That's what I thought was causing the ejection issue with the original barrel. It would completely swallow the bullet at the muzzle. So far I've changed the gas cylinder lock screw, the bolt asm. and the operating rod spring.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 AM

The bolt closes on an empty chamber and hand cycling the op rod perfectly feeds the next cartridge.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:52 AM

I bet the issue is still on the counterbore, but I only got .02 to gamble with.
“A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

CTNC (IW) / 1995-Current U.S. NAVY
NAVY CHIEF, NAVY PRIDE!

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=203599
Old 10-10-2017, 12:02 PM

So the bolt is short cycling.

Have you checked the diameters of the gas cylinder and operating rod piston?

Could the operating rod be rubbing in the stock? Did you try the tilt test?

Not really too many things that would be likely to cause this.

YellowSled could be right, but might as well check all other possibilities. Especially if you had the same problem with a different barrel.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM

I believe you are right about the rifle short cycling "jakeroub". Ran the tilt test for both the op rod and bolt. Both passed with flying colors.Checked diameter on op rod piston--good to go. I did recheck the new op rod spring. Turns out it was 3/4 " shorter than the original spring and checked it against other springs & it was always 3/4 " short. I put the original bolt back in along with the original spring, so the next thing is to see if any difference has been made. thanks..
Old 10-10-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffy1a View Post
I believe you are right about the rifle short cycling "jakeroub". Ran the tilt test for both the op rod and bolt. Both passed with flying colors.Checked diameter on op rod piston--good to go. I did recheck the new op rod spring. Turns out it was 3/4 " shorter than the original spring and checked it against other springs & it was always 3/4 " short. I put the original bolt back in along with the original spring, so the next thing is to see if any difference has been made. thanks..
Does it look like it was cut or just compressed over time? Could be that the previous owner cut it down to make it work.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:46 PM

The op rod spring was brand new. I had purchased 2 or 3 of them app. 5 years ago from an on-line retailer. I don't remember who though.