Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2017, 07:03 AM

Default Anyone remember Special Service Grades?

Anyone buy one from that limited release? They were possibly unused Garands but the CMP put new wood on them. I think they were $895. I got to handle one last week. Just awesome, full of grease or cosmoline. Looked unused.

My question. If you bought one did you clean it up and shoot it? How was the accuracy? Anyone seen one in the wild? Are these collectible or just expensive nice shooters?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thmountain View Post
Anyone buy one from that limited release? They were possibly unused Garands but the CMP put new wood on them. I think they were $895. I got to handle one last week. Just awesome, full of grease or cosmoline. Looked unused.

My question. If you bought one did you clean it up and shoot it? How was the accuracy? Anyone seen one in the wild? Are these collectible or just expensive nice shooters?
Service Grade Specials - per CMP "Collector Grade" metal in CMP stocks. Nothing about unissued, as I recall. They were not a limited release - at least they were in the Stores for months.

Per the CURRENT CMP grading criteria, "Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer." This was not the case with all of the Service Grade Specials - I saw two in the South Store with incorrect parts (one an op rod, don't remember the other). When I showed them to Leon, he put them behind the counter for correction.

Many people bought them (I bought several). Lots of people fired them; lots of people found the right wood and kept them unfired. They were $895 at first, them bumped to $995, as I recall. Extremely nice rifles.

At the same time the CMP sales floor was swamped with flawless Service Grades from the Greek AF, both SA and HRA - most had only one part incorrect. The stocks were USGI post war and beautiful. Many bought those at $595 and switched the incorrect parts to make them all correct.

The good old days....

"Life is Good!"
Old 10-12-2017, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the insight. I have never seen anything like it. My " Shooter/ Match" Rifle is a 42 SA with all 65 series parts and a like new 65 SA Barrel and looks great BUT That Service grade special beats the pants looks wise off my old rifle.

Last edited by 10thmountain; 10-12-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:23 AM

Default Hra 2008 sale

THIS $750.00 RM1HRASSP M1 Garand HRA Service grade
special
Old 10-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Default More info on hra

"Service grade special" was described by Orest as basically a collector grade with new CMP wood.
Here's the text from the CMP Sales Update email 10/31/2008:

Quote:
M1 GARAND HRA SPECIAL. Over the past few years we have accumulated approximately 200 HRA M1 Garands that were in excellent condition and 100% correct, but lacked wood. Since we have no hope of ever receiving this many correct or collector grade stocks and handguards, we have decided to install the newly manufactured CMP walnut stock sets and sell this batch under a unique item number. Item number is RM1HRASSP. Price is $750 each, plus $22.95 S&H.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:37 AM

Owned two, bought the first in Nov. 2009 at the old South Store for $795, price was eventually jacked up to $950 before the supply was exhausted.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 AM

60SHOTSFORRECORD That's a cool tid- bit of info.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:13 AM

Got one ,put like new HRA big porch wood. Has LMR barrel to,only about a third did.Very nice rifle,still have not shot it.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:21 AM

OH that's a good question...would you shoot it?
Old 10-12-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 SHOTSFORRECORD View Post
"Service grade special" was described by Orest as basically a collector grade with new CMP wood.
Here's the text from the CMP Sales Update email 10/31/2008:

Quote:
M1 GARAND HRA SPECIAL. Over the past few years we have accumulated approximately 200 HRA M1 Garands that were in excellent condition and 100% correct, but lacked wood. Since we have no hope of ever receiving this many correct or collector grade stocks and handguards, we have decided to install the newly manufactured CMP walnut stock sets and sell this batch under a unique item number. Item number is RM1HRASSP. Price is $750 each, plus $22.95 S&H.
Interesting. That must have been a different set of rifles from the later Service Grade Specials, as the later ones came from the Greek AF in 2009-2010, and were both SA and HRA. Prices were different, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thmountain View Post
OH that's a good question...would you shoot it?
To answer your questions, I have shot none of mine. Just corrected them.