Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 PM

Default How to tell a USMC 03?

Just picked up a 03 springfield SN 10253XX with a USMC 5-42 S barrel. Hatcher hole on the left side, straight stock w/o finger groves and a checkered buttplate. Is this in fact a Marine rifle or just a pretender? How do I tell?

Walt
Semper Fi
Old 11-23-2009, 11:05 PM

The most common features of a USMC 1903 are: Hatcher Hole (often crudely drilled), serial number electropenciled on the bolt body (may or may not match), gas escape hole on early bolts drilled out to a larger size, smooth buttplates stippled, grennish yellow colored parkerizing. A 42 dated USMC barrel is a good indication that your 1903 was a USMC rifle.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
The most common features of a USMC 1903 are: Hatcher Hole (often crudely drilled), serial number electropenciled on the bolt body (may or may not match), gas escape hole on early bolts drilled out to a larger size, smooth buttplates stippled, grennish yellow colored parkerizing. A 42 dated USMC barrel is a good indication that your 1903 was a USMC rifle.
U.S.M.C. on a 03 barrel means Sedgley Manufacturing Company, not United States Marine Corps. It's a replacement barrel silly! Is there a little S in a circle under the date on the barrel?
Old 11-24-2009, 06:18 AM

Sedgely had contracts with both the Marine Corps and Army Ordnance to produce spare barrels for the M1903. The "S" in the circle was Sedgely's manufacturer's mark. A barrel with just the circle-S and date is an Army contract barrel. A barrel with the circle-S, date and U.S.M.C is a Marine Corps contract barrel, and the U.S.M.C. does indeed mean U.S. Marine Corps. They were not "sniper" barrels, just service rifle replacements.

"It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!"
Old 11-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
Sedgely had contracts with both the Marine Corps and Army Ordnance to produce spare barrels for the M1903. The "S" in the circle was Sedgely's manufacturer's mark. A barrel with just the circle-S and date is an Army contract barrel. A barrel with the circle-S, date and U.S.M.C is a Marine Corps contract barrel, and the U.S.M.C. does indeed mean U.S. Marine Corps. They were not "sniper" barrels, just service rifle replacements.
You are correct on the barrel marking for the contract but not the year. His is dated 42 while the USMC contract occured in 1944. The USMC contract barrel should have a 4 groove, 24" parked barrel with 1905 type sights. The USMC contract barrels are no different from other WWII contract or Springfield Armory barrels other than amount of barrel grooves for a 03. I can't find any data to suggest that there was a Marine Corps contract in 42 so the "U" must have some other form of meaning on a 1942 dated barrel.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM

I agree with Bob -- the USMC bought Sedgely barrels going back to 1941.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
I agree with Bob -- the USMC bought Sedgely barrels going back to 1941.
Thanks for the info. Learn something every day with these guns. From what I've read the contract was in 44 and most authors never observed any other than from 44.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:20 PM

Sedgley received two (or more) barrel contracts during WWII.

The first set of contracts was awarded by the U.S. Marine Corps in 1941. The barrels are denoted by the encircled "S" trademark, the date of manufacture (1941-early 1944), and "U.S.M.C." which does indeed stand for United States Marine Corps.

The second contract was awarded by the U.S. Army Ordnance Dept in early-1944 following completion of the USMC contract. Those barrels are denoted by the encircled "S" trademark, the Army Ordnance Escutcheon (shell and flame), and the date of manufacture (1944-early 1945).

J.B.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walts1 View Post
Just picked up a 03 springfield SN 10253XX with a USMC 5-42 S barrel. Hatcher hole on the left side, straight stock w/o finger groves and a checkered buttplate. Is this in fact a Marine rifle or just a pretender? How do I tell?

Walt
Semper Fi
I have no doubt that you have a USMC rifle. I would be grateful if you would e-mail me the complete serial number. jvbeard at knology dot net (use symbols for at and dot). In exchange, I should be able to tell you more about it.

J.B.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:27 PM

The earliest dated Sedgley USMC barrel that I have personaly seen was dated 7-41. I have one on a rifle that is dated 9-41.