Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 07:05 PM

I have a Sedgley barrel USMC 10-43 based on what I'm reading hear I would say I have a replacement barrel. It does not have a hatcher hole, is this unusual?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:38 PM

Most 1943 and 1944 Sedgely USMC barrels went into the replacement "pot" and didn't actually go to the Marines.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bridwell View Post
Coaching of what info is needed would be fine, and welcomed.
I have been suggesting this forum as a source of information to those that are interested in learning about and collecting American Firearms, especially to those folks under the age of 30.
I hoped to keep their interest alive and growing.

I have doubts as to whether I was doing them a disservice now.

BTW, Rick- it is NOT for sale.

What more details would help ?
As part of my research into USMC rifles, I have amassed an extensive data base of those rifles and their characteristics. The data base has been extremely revealing. I freely share information from that data base with others. But, the data base was possible only because many, many sources shared the complete serial numbers of their rifles with me. When you thwart my data collection by withholding the complete serial number of your rifle, I feel no obligation to share information with you.

I could have just ignored your posting and moved on. And perhaps I should have. But I thought I would at least give you the opportunity to reply with the missing information so I could respond with a meaningful reply. My good intentions, however, appear to be in vain.

And, finally, you posted photos of a USMC barrel marking and barrel vise marks which you obviously knew originated with the USMC. What else were you looking for that you didn't already know? Other than an incomplete serial number, you left no unknowns for evaluation or commentary.

J.B.

Last edited by John Beard; 09-01-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom71 View Post
I have a Sedgley barrel USMC 10-43 based on what I'm reading hear I would say I have a replacement barrel. It does not have a hatcher hole, is this unusual?
Do you have a complete rifle, or just a barrel? Barrels don't have Hatcher Holes. Most USMC receivers do. But not all. So, if you have a complete rifle, absence of a Hatcher Hole doesn't necessarily disqualify it as a USMC rifle.

And you are correct. Sedgley barrels were manufactured as spare replacements for use in overhaul. They have no unusual or special features.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Coaching of what info is needed would be fine, and welcomed.

BTW, Rick- it is NOT for sale.
I don't recall asking if it was. Although I realize you weren't going this far, I have had people ask me something like, "I have this 3,XXX,XXX range rifle - please tell me as many details as you can". (I'm not kidding!)
Old 09-01-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
Most 1943 and 1944 Sedgely USMC barrels went into the replacement "pot" and didn't actually go to the Marines.
So if Sedgley didn't ship their barrels to the Marines, then where did they go???? And why would the Marines bother contracting and paying for something that they didn't get????

Sniffin' the bore cleaner again????

J.B.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Do you have a complete rifle, or just a barrel? Barrels don't have Hatcher Holes. Most USMC receivers do. But not all. So, if you have a complete rifle, absence of a Hatcher Hole doesn't necessarily disqualify it as a USMC rifle.

And you are correct. Sedgley barrels were manufactured as spare replacements for use in overhaul. They have no unusual or special features.

Hope this helps.

J.B.
Thank you John, yes it is a complete rifle and the receiver does not have a Hatcher hole either.
Old 09-01-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
I don't recall asking if it was. Although I realize you weren't going this far, I have had people ask me something like, "I have this 3,XXX,XXX range rifle - please tell me as many details as you can". (I'm not kidding!)
Just a response to post 14, Rick.

Mr. Beard, I was hoping that there was some info available, and I apologize for not knowing the protocols of how to ask.

" When you thwart my data collection " reeks of this being your private research center.

Sorry that I interrupted your day.

Mea Culpa !

Basia culos meos !

Last edited by Terry Bridwell; 09-01-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Just a response to post 14, Rick.

Mr. Beard, I was hoping that there was some info available, and I apologize for not knowing the protocols of how to ask.

" When you thwart my data collection " reeks of this being your private research center.

Sorry that I interrupted your day.

Mea Culpa !

Basia culos meos !

I could just let that go by, John certainly doesn't need defending, but I have to tell you, with out those like him, we'd be up the creek without a paddle.

If you want information on these guns, someone has to have a good data base to identify characteristics, time and serial number ranges and other info that gives us some idea of what we have and if it's original.

Nobody's paying John, Rick and many others for what they provide, all they ask is for you to contribute to the data base so they can give you an informed answer and to others that come knocking.

If you feel so vulnerable in giving out the serial number of your gun on this board, you can email or pm any of them usually.

For what it's worth.

Kurt
Old 09-01-2013, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak49shooter View Post
I could just let that go by, John certainly doesn't need defending, but I have to tell you, with out those like him, we'd be up the creek without a paddle.

If you want information on these guns, someone has to have a good data base to identify characteristics, time and serial number ranges and other info that gives us some idea of what we have and if it's original.

Nobody's paying John, Rick and many others for what they provide, all they ask is for you to contribute to the data base so they can give you an informed answer and to others that come knocking.

If you feel so vulnerable in giving out the serial number of your gun on this board, you can email or pm any of them usually.

For what it's worth.

Kurt
+1. I know I have benefited from their expertise.
USMC Ret. 1986, US Army Civilian Retired 2011

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell