Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Default Register Now for CMPís June D-Day Rifle and Pistol Matches

Register Now for CMPís June D-Day Rifle and Pistol Matches - TALLADEGA, Ala. Ė The Annual John C. Garand D-Day Anniversary event will be held June 8-10, 2018, at the Civilian Marksmanship Programís (CMP) Talladega Marksmanship Park in Alabama. The event will honor the Allied Forces landing at Normandy Beach in France back in 1944 through a series of vintage rifle and pistol competition. Read more at http://thecmp.org/register-now-for-c...istol-matches/.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:00 PM

I have shot the D day matches for the last couple of years and even managed a couple of gold medal scores. It is a lot of fun. Did notice that the number of entries has declined each year since the original massive turnout. Only shooting my 03A3 with reduced loads now, due to a serious recoil related eye injury (retinal tear). What are the chances that CMP could add vintage military bolt guns to the D day matches? I figure that the M1's have the advantage during rapid fire and the bolt guns are probably a little more accurate during slow fire. That makes everybody pretty much even.

Last edited by Zut; 05-29-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2018, 06:39 PM

I have noticed the same . Less people coming out . I'm going again this year it's about the only matches I do . Grand and service rifle . See you there .
Old 06-01-2018, 10:15 AM

I have suggested that they allow 03's to be shot also. I'm not a military historian but do think that the some 03's were used (by the Navy) on D-Day. also suggested that they allow us to shoot more than one match. I typically will shoot 3ea GSM matches in a day with no problem. 4 is pushing it for me.

I shoot a LOT of GSM matches and High Power. I know some shooters who won't go over there for just a single 30rd match. Also the 50 bucks for a 30rd match keeps some folks away.

I would like to see more participation at these matches. I try to get folks to come out and join in the fun. I have let folks borrow a rifle, ammo, spotting scope, mat, etc. but i am NOT paying their match fee.

Keith

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade

Last edited by Kilo-Sierra; 06-03-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:40 AM

Totally agree with Keith.

Also, this year a group is sponsoring a charity “WWII” Run and Gun type match down in the action pistol bays. My understanding is it’ll be all plate shooting, setup like a WWII battle. 24 shots in each of 3 courses of fire, Legal rifles are 1945 and earlier, or equivalent. It’s the spirit thing.

I just learned of this on a Facebook post by Talladega. It’s supposed to be Saturday, 11-6.

I’m in, pulled a 1944 M1 out of the safe, found a case of 1945 surplus ammo and I’m going for it. Won’t be competitive as I’ve never done this before, but I’ll have a blast trying it.

Hope to see you there, including you Keith.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:30 PM

I may just come out and watch the matches again this year... I wont be shooting, as my wife is at a point in which she may go into labor in the next week or the following week. I need to be with in a 1hr of the house and hospital driving distance.. So luckily its within that distance..
Old 06-03-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
Totally agree with Keith.

Also, this year a group is sponsoring a charity ďWWIIĒ Run and Gun type match down in the action pistol bays. My understanding is itíll be all plate shooting, setup like a WWII battle. 24 shots in each of 3 courses of fire, Legal rifles are 1945 and earlier, or equivalent. Itís the spirit thing.

I just learned of this on a Facebook post by Talladega. Itís supposed to be Saturday, 11-6.

Iím in, pulled a 1944 M1 out of the safe, found a case of 1945 surplus ammo and Iím going for it. Wonít be competitive as Iíve never done this before, but Iíll have a blast trying it.

Hope to see you there, including you Keith.
Ken, Definitely doing EIC and a GSM match. Most likely give the outlaw Garand match a go. I've shot a LOT of Steel Challenge matches but have NEVER done it with a Garand!

Keith

Keith Schachle

CMP Master Instructor
Old 06-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Shane told me he’s gonna do it with his Carbine. Also said he forwarded 20+ invites. Two others that I know of, plus you and I are also gonna shoot it.

This event could really be a blast. Just think of the CMP promotes it for the 75th D-Day Anniversary Matches.
Old 06-02-2018, 03:58 PM

That was some nice shooting Sunday at Ben's match Keith!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zut View Post
That was some nice shooting Sunday at Ben's match Keith!
You must be talking about the Rifleman's Weekend match? If so, then Thanks!

Keith

Keith Schachle

CMP Master Instructor