Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2018, 09:46 PM

I always carry my rifles inside the CMP cases or other gun cases into my room. Never had an issue, and don't plan on changing the practice now. Never leave any valuables in your vehicle overnight in a motel parking lot.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Leave them in the car and go to just about any store and buy wireless motion sensors for about $20. Put a motion sensor in your car and the alarm next to your head. They work well but it does put you in the position to confront the person breaking into your car. It's for you to decide if that is something you want to deal with.

Last edited by ajz1966; 02-25-2018 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 02-25-2018, 02:41 AM

I do the same When I arrive I carry all rifles in to the hotel in CMP cases and right by the front desk and have never ever had an issue also most hotels have a list of things you can and can not bring in and or do and some prohibit firearms and some do not but have special rules etc,I have and do travel extensively up and down the east coast several times a year with rifles and handguns and stay in multiple different hotels,What I would not do is leave them in my trunk or just locked in the car overnight as hotels are hit all the time with car burgleries as criminas know people that travel often leave valuables in the car overnight, Also park in a well-lighted area near the parking lot security cameras.

If I have to stay on the second or third floor etc I either park by the front door of the hotel and I mean right in front if firearms are in my truck or ill park at the side or back entrance doors as its easier to get my firearms in and out of the hotel unseen if Im shooting for several days someplace or you also tend to get much more traffic in and out of the hotel by the doors so criminals tend to not break in to cars at those locations.

When I do have to leave my firearms or I am on a trip collecting vintage arms up and down the coast I take whats called a Job Box many contractors use to lock expensive tools in there trucks their heavy steel and have the pad locks positioned so they can not be cut off with any type saw or cutters also there double locked I then place it in the pick up truck with the topper and tail gate locked and the Box is also locked to the bed of the truck in several locations not easy to get to with cutters but you can still with the keys,In 40 years I have yet to have a firearm go missing and I travel extensivly collecting firearms in the countrys and out of the country.Follow those precautions and id bet you will be pretty safe that job Box is great to use bought mine at Lowes years ago for like $350.00 fits in the back of a pick up truck perfectly slides all the way to the front of the bed also spin it around backwards so the front locks are facing the back of the bed of the truck when you lock the box to the bed for the night so they cant just come in and have access to them with out first cutting the locks, chains securing the box to the bed.Works for me and I sleep well if I leave them in my truck at night also Ill tell the night desk person whats in my truck and where its parked up front or near a door so they can keep an eye on the cameras while there all night working,If your staying in a hotel where you have to be concerned about the staff try a better hotel also one in an area that's populated and not one or two along the road somewhere by themselves.Thieves love dark isolated Hotels to break in to cars,My Daughter worked the front desk as a night auditor for a major hotel chain for years and this is what they suggest and man I so miss those free rooms and deep discounted friends and family rates I used to get 20 bucks a night or free at the Marriott was awesome!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailboss1 View Post
I always carry my rifles inside the CMP cases or other gun cases into my room. Never had an issue, and don't plan on changing the practice now. Never leave any valuables in your vehicle overnight in a motel parking lot.
Yelp, same here.
Major matches usually find the local hotels full of competitors. Thus no need for secrecy because the parking lot is full of guns going to and from the vehicles. At least that's been my experience. That said, it also provides the local doping thugs a prime opportunity.
Never leave guns inside the car is my thought.

BTW I really like that idea about the motion sensor/alarm.

Vic
Old 02-25-2018, 06:36 AM

The motion sensors coupled with a blanket over the rifle cases or going a little further and building a plywood horizontal cabinet to match the dimensions of your pickup or SUV thereby creating a hidden false bottom with cubbies for each rifle works very well. A hinged piece of wood with a ring and latch for a lock adds some more security. Yes, this isn't very secure but the motion sensor and the homemade rig adds time to the thief's activities giving you more time to get out of your room. Another tip, talk to locals or ask a cop in the area where safe motels are for tourists. Many locals are helpful. I mostly go to local events as I live near Camp Perry and can return home during the summer matches but the few times I've traveled, I've felt secure with this. My hope is if anyone breaks in, they are a petty thief and yelling "hey get out of my car" from a safe distance alerting other motel/hotel guests to his activities will cause him to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerz View Post
Yelp, same here.
Major matches usually find the local hotels full of competitors. Thus no need for secrecy because the parking lot is full of guns going to and from the vehicles. At least that's been my experience. That said, it also provides the local doping thugs a prime opportunity.
Never leave guns inside the car is my thought.

BTW I really like that idea about the motion sensor/alarm.

Vic

Last edited by ajz1966; 02-26-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 07-12-2018, 05:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to skwchock

Thank you to all. I have had the same question and have had to "sneak" my rifle to my hotel room. Sometimes, I wait in my car until I have not seen anyone and then try to use the side door to get up to my room. In the room, tho, it is hard to find a place to hide a rifle case unless there is room under the bed.