Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM

Default Winchester 1897 Trench Shot Gun is it a fake?

Hi guys I recently bought a Winchester 1897 Trench Gun, but after locating other pics on the web, the "US" stamp does not look the same....so I would like to find out if it is real. So reason of posting is that we all know there are several different font styles on the serial numbers on the Sprinfield 1903's some have a script style numbers, and others block, or serif style.... So is it the same with these??? Meaning the "US" stamp on the Left side of the 1897's Receiver is larger than that of the ones stamped on the Right side and Right side stamps are hand stamped...so can the font style also be different?

I have bought the Bruce Canfield's book on military combat shot guns but have not received it yet.

This is made in 1907 confirmed by calling Winchester customer service(that is all they could tell me about it), it is a take down version, Model D serial number is 377971

https://imgur.com/a/UvENL

Patriot

Last edited by Patriot; 02-28-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Unfortunately you will be disappointed a second time when you receive Canfield's book. Wrong font and wrong SN for a stamp at that location. The barrel and hand guard may be legit.

Jim.

Last edited by vern21; 03-01-2018 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Addition