Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Talladega Marksmanship Park
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-18-2018, 09:55 PM
Carriec Carriec is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Default First Time TMP

We are heading down in May and don't know any of the procedures other than the safety briefing. Web site photos look like the everything must be carried from the parking lot through the building to the firing line? Are there carts or other means of conveying? Separate marshaling areas inside? Just trying to finalize the plan best we can.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-19-2018, 03:10 AM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,203
Default

To shoot at the range (not competing in a match):

-check in at the clubhouse and get brief.

-DO NOT bring gear into the Bldg. It isn't allowed.

-Either carry it around or borrow a golf cart and drive around.

-If you are shooting Range 1, go to the booth and find out your firing point from them and tell them what yard line you want to shoot on (ie 300yds). The brief doesn't really help you if you've never used the Electronic targets, so ask them for a tutorial. The screens aren't complicated but it helps to get a brief class from them.

-Shoot and enjoy. If/When you want to change yard lines, let the booth know and they will activate (raise) the one you want.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Last edited by Gewehr43; 04-19-2018 at 03:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-19-2018, 05:59 AM
Carriec Carriec is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Default

Thanks for the input. How many shooters can use the same FP? We usually rotate four of us between one or two lanes.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-19-2018, 07:07 AM
ZvenoMan ZvenoMan is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: AL
Posts: 3,336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriec View Post
Thanks for the input. How many shooters can use the same FP? We usually rotate four of us between one or two lanes.
1 person per firing point.
I don't know if that's a rule but there is no reason to rotate (unless you only have 2 rifles. Riiiiiiight!). You pay by the hour or day, not by the target or lane.
As Gewehr43 said, leave your gear in the car. Go in the clubhouse, pay, watch the safety training and browse the store.
1st timers will DRIVE to the 100 yard range. When they see you can hold the black you can go to the 200-600 range.
Drive back to the clubhouse and park.
Get a golf cart (or 2) and drive your gear and friends to the 200-600 range.
They will tell you all the processes and make you feel welcome.
There are 60 firing points at the 200-600. It won't be full unless there's a match.
JH
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-19-2018, 07:12 AM
10thmountain 10thmountain is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Marietta, GA
Posts: 562
Default

I love that place. So much fun to see what you can get out of yourself and your rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Carriec Carriec is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 200
Default

Thanks again for the input. We are looking forward to the trip. Have to make the proper sacrifices to the WX gods as usual.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-20-2018, 09:24 PM
Laphroaig Laphroaig is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 151
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thmountain View Post
I love that place. So much fun to see what you can get out of yourself and your rifle.
Its like the Augusta National of shooting sports. Just amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 AM
Kilo-Sierra Kilo-Sierra is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZvenoMan View Post
1 person per firing point.
I don't know if that's a rule but there is no reason to rotate (unless you only have 2 rifles. Riiiiiiight!). You pay by the hour or day, not by the target or lane.
As Gewehr43 said, leave your gear in the car. Go in the clubhouse, pay, watch the safety training and browse the store.
1st timers will DRIVE to the 100 yard range. When they see you can hold the black you can go to the 200-600 range.
Drive back to the clubhouse and park.
Get a golf cart (or 2) and drive your gear and friends to the 200-600 range.
They will tell you all the processes and make you feel welcome.
There are 60 firing points at the 200-600. It won't be full unless there's a match.
JH
The bolded part is a must. 54 firing points. The golf carts make life easier for you. The RO will explain how to use the monitors for scoring. you will want to know how to change targets, reset the reset the target, etc. don't be afraid to ask for help. I know all the guys that work there and they are more than eager/willing to help. Even if there is a match going on it's no big deal. they shoot the match at one end and "normal" shooters shoot at the other end. it will be a good experience for you. Enjoy!

Keith Schachle
__________________
I can shoot a one hole/one shot group at any distance....."If I do my part"

Keith Schachle

Distinguished Rifleman Badge #2287
NRA XTC Service Rifle- High Master
NRA Midrange - High Master
CMP XTC Service Rifle - Master
CMP Master Instructor
Almost Perfect Attendance in the 3rd grade
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2018, 09:21 AM
Scout706 Scout706 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Georgia
Posts: 462
Default

Golf cart is included in range fee
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Bailey Bailey is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Northern Alabama
Posts: 64
Default

One other note. When I have been there, the car gate on Turner Mill road didnít open until fairly close to the 9:00 am opening time.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 AM.