Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other > Is it Real or Repro?
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2012, 05:13 PM

Great post, thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Well, I checked two scopes, with positive resultes.

Yep, real helpfull.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 AM

Great post. Thanks for putting this together.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:20 AM

I used the repro M84 on a repro M1D (grade B, CMP receiver; Criterion barrel; CMP wood; repro scope, base, and mount; misc other parts) this past August at Camp Perry. My son and I teamed up and we both shot mid 90's with it at 300 yds. This was with a screw up on my part in setting up the adjustment knobs where we had to hold bottom-of-paper to hit the black. The scope performed just fine.
It didn't start out that way, however. I went through four of these trying to get one where the adjustment knobs turned the adjustment shaft with each click. I finally had to fix this myself. Seems the craftsman fitting the indexing disk (under the adjustment knob) made the square engaging hole too big and it took one or two clicks to move the shaft. I got some GI disks from SARCO and that solved the problem. I suppose the square disk openings that came with the scope could be filled with something to take up the slack and do the same thing.
I have an original M84 that is very nice, but the repro has much better glass which helps my old eyes. I keep the scope on the rifle all the time to avoid issues with the mount; some repro mounts have soft screws and won't tolerate a lot of on-off activity.
We didn't use the M1D at 600 yds, but had a repro A4 (re-purposed Rem receiver; Criterion barrel; CMP wood; internet acquired other parts)zeroed for that distance. I'd like to try the M1D at six, but we are now doing an 03 A1 (ex-sporterized SA '03; Criterion barrel; CMP wood; misc other parts) with a repro 8X USMC scope for that distance. Hope to have it shooting in January.
For those who might wonder, I have a professional gun smith do all my barrel and head space work. I just do the easy stuff.
I have been amazed how well these assembeled "parts" guns will shoot, and it's a lot cheaper than purchasing real "snipers" that should be preserved.
Ain't this fun!!!!
Be safe!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:46 PM

30calmike,

thank you for the information.

Is that item #11 in this diagram?

http://www.sarcoinc.com/m84fig2.html

M1 Garand Database Project
http://m1-garand-rifle.com/spreadsheet/

M1 Garand Information
http://m1-garand-rifle.com/
Old 11-01-2012, 04:32 PM

Outstanding post Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM

T-Boiler: Sorry for the delay. It's part #10 in the SARCO diagram.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 AM

has anyone seen a original usgi scope WITHOUT the white box around the serial number.?? the tag appears original except no white box and the numbers are thinner font wise.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:06 PM

The M84 scopes made by Leupold did not have the box around the numbers. Also on the Leupold I think the part number 7667424 is stamped on the tube.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:14 PM

thanks ...doing research before buying lol