Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2016, 11:40 AM

I agree that a certain amount of good sportsmanship and etiquette is required in our sport. However to eliminate all cursing just isn't going to happen. You can't make this, or any other sport, too much 'about the children'. It'll turn off some of your seasoned shooters.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 08-03-2016, 11:49 AM

I've really benefited from all the aspects of this long thread.

Let's be careful and think through what Greg has said about deportment and young shooters. These young folks, especially from teams, are polite, say yes sir, no sir and conduct themselves largely as well-mannered young men and women. Let's reinforce that, not degrade it. We have an opportunity to share experience and wisdom about the sport, which is a good thing. That position of influence can also have a negative effect. Let's be positive ambassadors for the sport.

His profanity comments were mainly directed at the pits. Personally, I've not encountered anything of that nature, and I'm glad because excessive profanity and crudeness draws attention away from the reason we are there.

Jess
Old 08-03-2016, 02:18 PM

I mostly agree with Greg.

I can put up with some trash talk, do some of it myself, and so can most JR shooters, but, when every 3rd word is the F-bomb it wears on you.
I donít mind people talking and carrying on in the assembly or ready areas. It does bug me a bit when thatís going on right at the score keeper. At one match, during offhand, I was in the zone and didnít even hear or see a guy come up to the firing point until he took my picture with the flash on. The photographer got some choice words that day. Like the Europeans, make all the noise and take all the pictures you want from the bleachers, not at the line.
Old 08-03-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X Hunter View Post
I mostly agree with Greg.

I can put up with some trash talk, do some of it myself, and so can most JR shooters, but, when every 3rd word is the F-bomb it wears on you.
I donít mind people talking and carrying on in the assembly or ready areas. It does bug me a bit when thatís going on right at the score keeper. At one match, during offhand, I was in the zone and didnít even hear or see a guy come up to the firing point until he took my picture with the flash on. The photographer got some choice words that day. Like the Europeans, make all the noise and take all the pictures you want from the bleachers, not at the line.
This.. well said.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 08-08-2016, 08:49 PM

Look up ISSF men's 3 position 50 meter rifle on you tube to see them trying to spoil the top three medal winners concentration in World Cup Finals.
I am not talking about this or suggesting that we have "safe spaces" free of "mirco aggressions", or that the innocent ears of juniors should never hear the occasional expletive. What I am saying is we should be mindful, and respectful of others in a confined space where one cannot simply leave to escape blatant and excessive profanity. You are not in the huts, you are not at home, but you are not at church either, and some thick skin is to be expected also. The black board used to score a rapid string is not the place to showcase your artistic talent, or mastery of profane internet abbreviations to show approval or disapproval of a shooters performance. The pit wall is not for keeping score or drawing falic symbols . When called for a mark, it is not the occasion to spew profanity about the shooter that just fired over the target. The shooting community is a decent community made up of the very best people in America. A visit to Camp Perry and the National Matches is for many a family affair. We should hold onto the traditions of decent public behavior that is still respected by the vast majority of competitors. As new shooters you need to know the type of community you have been welcomed to join, and be part of keeping it safe and enjoyable for everyone. It is the responsibility of all competitors to be on their best behavior for the benefit of themselves and our sport.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:56 PM
Banned

What it takes to be competitive: A FRONT SIGHT. .

Mine fell off at the local match Saturday.

Nothing like the final shot in Rapids looking down just a barrel. LOL

Lesson learned. Check everything before heading to the range.
Old 08-08-2016, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reconinforce View Post
What it takes to be competitive: A FRONT SIGHT. .

Mine fell off at the local match Saturday.
Aa long as you didn't swear...
Old 10-20-2016, 12:39 AM

Great read as I am about to participate in a CMP clinic in Mesa, AZ with M1 Garand this weekend.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to ItsGarand

I often wonder when shooting offhand if it's one of those "gifted" physical attributes that people (other than me ) seem to have. What I am speaking about is the ability to stand still and hold the rifle steady enough to keep the sights over the black. Finding and keeping stature for NPOA certainly helps as my scores have come up but breaking the next ceiling into the 90's is elusive.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 PM

The next step is having a great trigger.No creep and 4-1/2+ an once or so let off.