Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2019, 04:15 PM

Default First carbine, need advice

At next monthís gun show I hope Iíll find a M1 Carbine thatís in decent condition with particular attention given to the stock. Not looking for a scarce mfg. just a nice decent looking example in the $850 to $1000 range to display next to my M1 Garand. Itís been a long time since I was issued these weapons while in the army (1960-63) in western Germany. I remember so clearly the west German police carrying the carbine near the wall and the Brandenburg Gate (portions of the wall had not been completed as yet at this time). Scott Duffs ďThe M1 carbine owner's guideĒ should help me find my carbine donít you think? I imagine there are other sources thatís better but this should get me started. Any ideas or comments what to look for and avoid will be greatly appreciated. W. German police picture below
Old 01-29-2019, 04:24 PM

I have a copy of Craig Riesch's book U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production which has been an excellent resource.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:37 PM

Why not look for a carbine that served in Germany?
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Germany.html

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/armory.html
Old 01-29-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Brass View Post
Definitely this with you background.

I think the Bavarians are easily some of the coolest and most authentic carbines around. Might need to raise your budget by a few hundred dollars, but to me it would be worth it.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to hoyceman

Just sold a Bavarian Rural Police that was almost all SG except for adjustable rear and T3 band for $1000 last week at a gun show here in PA. I'll empty out the safe and private mail if I find something.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:21 AM

Read this

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/...topic1301.html
Old 01-30-2019, 10:46 AM

Ahhhh ..... Big Reno Show next month !

Depending on the weather, and if I can make it over I-80 I am planning on going. I saw a pretty nice Inland at the Nov show for $750. It does vary with each show as to how many M1 carbines are available. Somewhere between 2 - 18 is what I have seen.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 01-30-2019, 12:01 PM

The above was a great read.
All the advice is appreciated, thanks guys.
Although new to M1 Carbines I have been collecting since the mid 1980Ďs. My interest like so many was in pre-1945 German firearms and medals and decorations. That market is now infested with so many fakes I got out of it. Figure 90% of all decorations you see at the shows is fake. I recognize so many of the dealers have grown old like me and they are still at it, like sharks circling an uninformed buyer in the water. I will be attending the Big Reno Gun Show next month and after reading all I can about carbines I will be suspicious about all that is displayed. I have no problem walking out of that show with nothing in my hands.