Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2019, 11:35 PM

IT LIVES!

I took my 6.5x55 Garand to the range today and tried firing the rifle with just a pilot hole drilled through the barrel. It fired perfectly but did not cycle. I took the hole up to a #50, which I expected to be significantly too small, but it functioned perfectly. I fired at least 40 rounds, if not more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83bG9HwmUIk

She's now wearing a new CMP walnut stock.

The ejection was very inconsistent, and I'd like to get some input on it. I think it's just very undergassed, but the slightly larger rim diameter and thickness might have some impact as well. Most cases landed just in front of the rifle, maybe 2 feet from the muzzle. Most went to the right, but some crossed over to the left, with the one occasionally coming rearward. The rest were in a neat little pile 5-6 feet from the muzzle at the 1:00. Do these symptoms tell you guys anything? I tried to get some of the ejection in this video while my buddy was shooting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPJUv4j_BS8

My theory that it's undergassed might be confirmed as the weather gets colder, but I'd like to check in before I do any further shooting. I may just bring my Schuster plug next range trip and see how many clicks it takes before it won't cycle anymore. There were no extractor or ejector marks on the case heads or rims, and there were no dents in any of the cases that I checked. I'll go back and have a closer look at them tomorrow if these details are inconclusive.

Thanks for the input!

Steve
Old 10-07-2019, 01:40 PM

Great looking rifle and unlike many of us who talk about doing "alternative" cartridge Garands you went ahead and did one!

Question--How does it compare to 30-06 or .308 in regards to felt recoil and muzzle blast?

And, what type of muzzle device are you using?

Good job!
Old 10-07-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
Great looking rifle and unlike many of us who talk about doing "alternative" cartridge Garands you went ahead and did one!

Question--How does it compare to 30-06 or .308 in regards to felt recoil and muzzle blast?

And, what type of muzzle device are you using?

Good job!
Thank you sir!

Recoil felt very mild. I was pretty pumped up and wearing a light jacket, but it felt no stronger than my VZ58 in 7.62x39. I could have shot it all day! I didn't notice any difference in muzzle blast, but I use WC872 in both my 6.5x55 and my 30-06 loads, so my 30-06 loads are probably a bit lower pressure than most people. My BM59E wears an Italian muzzle brake, so it produces more blast than most Garands.

It's just a cheap T37 flash hider reproduction that I had kicking around, probably from Sarco. I wanted to reduce the chances that I'd accidentally try to load a .308 or 30-06 round into my 6.5x55 rifle. I don't think either would chamber, but given that the M1 can slam-fire, I figured I'd play it safe and put an easily identifiable feature on the rifle. I'd never put it on one of my normal M1s, but I personally think it looks kinda cool on this one with the CMP stock set!

Steve
Old 10-07-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Thank you sir!

Recoil felt very mild. I was pretty pumped up and wearing a light jacket, but it felt no stronger than my VZ58 in 7.62x39. I could have shot it all day! I didn't notice any difference in muzzle blast, but I use WC872 in both my 6.5x55 and my 30-06 loads, so my 30-06 loads are probably a bit lower pressure than most people. My BM59E wears an Italian muzzle brake, so it produces more blast than most Garands.

It's just a cheap T37 flash hider reproduction that I had kicking around, probably from Sarco. I wanted to reduce the chances that I'd accidentally try to load a .308 or 30-06 round into my 6.5x55 rifle. I don't think either would chamber, but given that the M1 can slam-fire, I figured I'd play it safe and put an easily identifiable feature on the rifle. I'd never put it on one of my normal M1s, but I personally think it looks kinda cool on this one with the CMP stock set!

Steve
Didn't they mark the barrel in the usual place as
6.5x55?
Springfield Armory 5,940,259, 5,840,184, 4,238,435 and 2,023,912.
Harrington & Richardson 5,549,399.

AUV: Assault Utility Vehicle

"REPO" M1 Parts: The parts you buy that they come to take back later on.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Didn't they mark the barrel in the usual place as
6.5x55?
They did, I just figured why not make it more different and easy to identify.

Tags
6.5x55, garand, project, swede, swedish