X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SMAWman
    • Sep 2011

Although this is not for me, there seems to be a lot of speculation about something those people will never buy...

Interesting concept but I believe that they would never sell something they think might be a problem firing in real situations.

SMAWman

Comment

• ordmm
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Punch the Clown View Post
      Elmer Ballance welded M14 receivers. He has also repaired receivers with blown out heels. I spoke to him about it and he says it is no problem. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
      Just goes to show you that Elmer was way ahead of the pack way back. Guess this also puts JRA ahead of the reat as "closest to U.S. GI" claim! No more discussion about who does the rear receiver cuts just like GI, as well as the most pleasing and authentic markings. JRA sure nailed those issues!
      Last edited by ordmm; 01-24-2015, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• ggg33
        • Oct 2009

I would think re-sale years later could be an issue. If the finished product looks like the prototype it will be just another hack job welded receiver. I have seen m1 garands that have been welded so well you could not tell it was ever welded and only identified as such by the numbers on the front half and the back half not being correct to each other. The welding on the prototype pictured looks terrible.
        JOIN THE NRA TODAY!

Comment

• Renisin
          Banned
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ggg33 View Post
          I would think re-sale years later could be an issue. If the finished product looks like the prototype it will be just another hack job welded receiver. I have seen m1 garands that have been welded so well you could not tell it was ever welded and only identified as such by the numbers on the front half and the back half not being correct to each other. The welding on the prototype pictured looks terrible.
          I really don't know what pictures you were looking at to arrive at,"just another hack job welded receiver"? Studying the pictures provided by JRA closely and speaking to several people who handled the rifle at the Shot Show, the only conclusion I can arrive at is this is a very well made and fine looking receiver with historical significance.

I applaud JamesRiverArmory for their forward thinking and listening to the wishes of their customers, for providing a receiver that gets us that much closer to what many of us would like, a real M14.

I know I will treasure my JRA receivers.
          Last edited by Renisin; 01-26-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• ggg33
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Renisin View Post
            I really don't know what pictures you were looking at to arrive at,"just another hack job welded receiver"? Studying the pictures provided by JRA closely and speaking to several people who handled the rifle at the Shot Show, the only conclusion I can arrive at is this is a very well made and fine looking receiver with historical significance.

I applaud JamesRiverArmory for their forward thinking and listening to the wishes of their customers, for providing a receiver that gets us that much closer to what many of us would like, a real M14.

I know I will treasure my JRA receivers.
            The welds in the OP's picture look very visible. Now welded receivers have "historical significance". A P.T. Barnum moment is at hand.
            JOIN THE NRA TODAY!

Comment

• Roadkingtrax
              • Oct 2009

The welds in the OP's picture look very visible. Now welded receivers have "historical significance". A P.T. Barnum moment is at hand.
              With any luck, someone will start a receiver strength/durability argument about SAI and reference the M14 heel JRAs in retort.

Comment

• Renisin
                Banned
                • Dec 2012

Hey guys why all the negativity? And yes with the heel from a real USGI M14 there really is a historical connection and thus part of history.

These receivers are structurally safe, it has been done before successfully by several entities. Laugh if you like but the fact remains these JRA receivers are viable.

Good luck with your SAI. rifles as for me, I can do better.

Comment

• ggg33
                  • Oct 2009

Not negative at all. If you like welded receivers that's cool. This has all been done before. Hahn machine and mks come to mind. Here is a little bit of history for the prospective new purchasers.

http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions...6a0103p-06.pdf
                  JOIN THE NRA TODAY!

Comment

• Renisin
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2012

That has been cleared through ATF by JRA, a document stating this will be provided. The area that held the go fast parts was separated from the heel and thus could never be converted, JRA explains this in detail if you call them.

Comment

• ggg33
                      • Oct 2009

Both MKS and Hahn machine had the BATFE blessing. If you actually read the court document I linked you will see they (mks-hahn) removed the go fast parts also. But hey, federal forfeiture lawsuits against individuals are no big deal, right? Carry on.
                      JOIN THE NRA TODAY!

Comment

• aloreman
                        • Sep 2012

The part that confuses me in how theses are legal is the serial number attached to the heal is a full auto serial number and goes along with the once a full auto always a full auto law. This is no different then welding up a demilled reciever and milling the bracket off and welding up the notch. But somehow this is ok

Comment

• TLB
                          • Jul 2010

Both MKS and Hahn machine had the BATFE blessing. If you actually read the court document I linked you will see they (mks-hahn) removed the go fast parts also. But hey, federal forfeiture lawsuits against individuals are no big deal, right? Carry on.
                          Granted I'm old and forgetful, but my recollection was that MKS left the full auto lug and switch in place but welded them inoperable--that was the reason for the argument that they could be converted back to full auto in less than 8 hours. Also, I think MKS believed the Hahn ruling was a blanket approval for all M14 restorations so they didn't pursue their own, but the ATF disagreed.
                          Current Feedback:
                          Former iTrader Feedback: 41 with 100% positive transactions

Comment

• spankybear
                            • Dec 2009

You had to go and show this... Just what I didn;t want to see... a smaller back account. Now I need to find a winnie barrel

Comment

• ken792
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by aloreman View Post
                              The part that confuses me in how theses are legal is the serial number attached to the heal is a full auto serial number and goes along with the once a full auto always a full auto law. This is no different then welding up a demilled reciever and milling the bracket off and welding up the notch. But somehow this is ok
                              Because once destroyed, the receiver portions are considered just scrap metal. They're are no longer machine guns because they've been destroyed. As long as you don't make something illegal, you can weld them back together. Rewelds are popular with milled receiver AK builds, since you get to keep the original markings and keep the original headspacing and barrel timing for a fraction of the cost of having a new receiver milled with the correct markings and contours. For legality, builders remove the full auto features before they start welding the pieces back together. If they're using original receiver sections, then they must first weld over the auto sear pin hole and the auto sear notch. If they're using new made "reweld plates," then that's not an issue.

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/29-...-got-em-6.html

As far as the ATF is concerned with these JRA receiver, they are new made JRA receivers. JRA is free to assign their own serial number to the receiver they make. It just so happens that the serial number is one that was also at one point on a real M14 and that instead of engraving them, JRA welds a piece of scrap metal to the receiver that already had their desired serial number.
                              Last edited by ken792; 01-27-2015, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• M14
                                • Jul 2011

copyright
                                Last edited by M14; 01-31-2015, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X