Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2019, 06:21 PM

"We just buried my Father in Law who passed away in August at 99 1/2. I advised my wife to get the Army marker. It was not much, just a name and Army WW2. If you were killed I think they put PH on it. No honor guard, just a lay preacher wearing a AL/DAV hat. I was the only vet there and he made me stand and salute like there were hundreds of us. Turns out he was some staff weenie late in Vietnam.
$200 and a brass marker, that's all we are worth to a grateful nation."

I read a lot of unhappiness in how services were provided for your Father in Law.
It is the responsibility of the family to advise the funeral home/director that they are handling the remains of a Veteran. The Honor Guard usually comes from a local American Legion or VFW Post...IF they are aware of a service for a Veteran. Stating that a "staff weenie late in Vietnam," assisted as a lay preacher [and he happened to be a member of the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans] is to me, a little offensive. I understand that you feel your Father in Law deserved more, but to blame the "preacher" and whomever else offended your family is hardly appropriate.
Social Security gives $200 [which I feel is a pittance] is something to be addressed by complaining to your Congressman and Senators.
On the other hand, the VA provides for five [5] types of markers, marble or brass. Those markers can have information not just restricted to Name and Service Branch and Time Frame.
I have attached a link to the VA Form 40-1330, Claim for Standard Government Headstone or Marker. That form then allows for what can be added to the headstone/marker. I know how it works: I did the form for my father, a Veteran of WWII, 1st Lt., [Ordnance] U.S. Army Air Force.
I already have information noted for my son when he applies for MY marker. I want marble! I have been a member of the American Legion for 46 years, served with the Honor Guard [M1903's], am not happy that they turned in pristine M1903's for the Garand, now live 1000 miles from my home post but proudly wear my Legion cap [Post 186] when Memorial Day rolls around.

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/va40-1330.pdf
Old 01-23-2019, 08:48 PM

Any Veteran who left the service under honorable conditions is entitled to a burial flag and a Military Headstone (several types available) and to military honors at the graveside.

Military honors today usually consist of two persons (military or veterans) to fold and present the flag, and a bugler to sound Taps. Sometimes it is a real bugler, and sometimes it is a military person with a "fake" bugle that has a recorder inside.

It is up to the next of kin or a representative to inform the funeral director of their wishes.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

It looks like if they have a marked grave and died before 1990, they cannot receive a marker. Am I understanding that correctly? Too bad if so. Lots of vets in my family, including my grandfather, who died before 1990 that I would like to honor with a marker on the back of their headstone.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:41 PM

"Only for Veterans who died before November 1, 1990 - Furnished for the UNMARKED GRAVE of any eligible deceased Veteran. The applicant must
certify that a privately-purchased headstone or marker or Government-furnished headstone or marker is not present on the grave."

If I wanted a stone or marker for a deceased Pre-Nov. 1, 1990 Vet with an existing stone or marker-I would sneak out there on a quiet night and remove that stone/marker, certify that the grave is unmarked except for a slab of wood with identity by indelible marker [photo enclosed] and get the VA stone/marker. Just another example of government stupidity. Then, return the original marker you previously removed.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:08 PM

I read a lot of unhappiness in how services were provided for your Father in Law.
It is the responsibility of the family to advise the funeral home/director that they are handling the remains of a Veteran. The Honor Guard usually comes from a local American Legion or VFW Post...IF they are aware of a service for a Veteran. Stating that a "staff weenie late in Vietnam," assisted as a lay preacher [and he happened to be a member of the American Legion and Disabled American Veterans] is to me, a little offensive. I understand that you feel your Father in Law deserved more, but to blame the "preacher" and whomever else offended your family is hardly appropriate.
Social Security gives $200 [which I feel is a pittance] is something to be addressed by complaining to your Congressman and Senators.
On the other hand, the VA provides for five [5] types of markers, marble or brass. Those markers can have information not just restricted to Name and Service Branch and Time Frame.
I have attached a link to the VA Form 40-1330, Claim for Standard Government Headstone or Marker. That form then allows for what can be added to the headstone/marker. I know how it works: I did the form for my father, a Veteran of WWII, 1st Lt., [Ordnance] U.S. Army Air Force.
I already have information noted for my son when he applies for MY marker. I want marble! I have been a member of the American Legion for 46 years, served with the Honor Guard [M1903's], am not happy that they turned in pristine M1903's for the Garand, now live 1000 miles from my home post but proudly wear my Legion cap [Post 186] when Memorial Day rolls around.

https://www.va.gov/vaforms/va/pdf/va40-1330.pdf[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry that you are offended, I have an opinion and said what I felt. People getting offended is all the thing these days isn't it? I was disappointed that it was such a truncated ceremony compared to what I saw at San Bruno.

My F.I.L. had arranged everything years in advance. My wife helped him and I helped her. As far as calling the AL guy a staff weenie, I saw a lot of staff weenies in the 22 1/2 months in the Army and 365 days in Vietnam.

The ceremony didn't even include having the flag over his coffin. I guess that was because he was alone. I could have helped him fold the flag, I learned how in the cub scouts 65 years ago. It is sad that it has come to this. If the AL guys didn't volunteer, it might as well be an app for the cell phone. Thanks for the Link and the lesson in virtue signaling.