Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Removing a front sight cover from an 03A3

I recently located and purchased a M1903A3 from a local pawn shop. I dismantled it, cleaned it and documented all of the parts markings. As best I can tell, itís an all correct 03 with a type 8C scant stock (Reference - Poyerís book).

One thing about the rifle: it has a front sight cover installed.

Iím thinking that I should remove it and discard it. Any thoughts on that?

Also, if the consensus is that the cover should be removed, what is the correct process of doing that?

Thanks!
NRA Life Member
From Conroe, TX.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:20 PM

Front sight cover was used to protect the sight from damage in transit. They usually come off with some forward thumb pressure but may scratch the barrel outside surface as they come off. I have some on a few '03's and not on others, personal preference i'd say.
Mr. Beard is our respected expert on the '03's & defer to his insights on the subject...
Old 06-25-2019, 08:41 PM

They were disposable 75 years ago, not now.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:42 PM

Hang on to it! You may want it later.

If it happens to be one of the tall ones, leave it on there it will not be as easy to remove and was meant to be left in place the majority of the time.

Maybe your reference can be used to identify the differences between the two before you decide just to makes sure.
Having the taller of the two would be a nice addition to your kit even though it was meant for the earlier rifle.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doco Overboard View Post
Hang on to it! You may want it later.

If it happens to be one of the tall ones, leave it on there it will not be as easy to remove and was meant to be left in place the majority of the time.

Maybe your reference can be used to identify the differences between the two before you decide just to makes sure.
Having the taller of the two would be a nice addition to your kit even though it was meant for the earlier rifle.
Is that unique to just the taller(Marine) sight protectors? I have one(taller) that I needed a rope to get off with someone holding the rifle while I pulled.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:21 PM

the tall one is a sight hood, the standard one is a sight cover/protector and isn't meant to be used when shooting unlike the hood.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:40 PM

Put some oil or Break Free all over it and drift it off using a piece of hardwood on each side. I do not install them because they almost always scratch the front sight band.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the replies!

The sight cover is about 1.5” in height and has the number C64157-4 on the side. Research indicates that this was for the standard sight protector intended for use in shipment to prevent sight damage.

I think I’ll try removing it and hopefully not leave any scrapes on the barrel. I’ll saturate it with Kroil oil in advance.

Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!
NRA Life Member
From Conroe, TX.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevinator View Post
Thanks for the replies!

The sight cover is about 1.5Ē in height and has the number C64157-4 on the side. Research indicates that this was for the standard sight protector intended for use in shipment to prevent sight damage.

I think Iíll try removing it and hopefully not leave any scrapes on the barrel. Iíll saturate it with Kroil oil in advance.

Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I think the only way you'll remove it without scrapes/scratches is if you cut it off
Old 06-27-2019, 10:41 PM

Hi Fellows,

I usually oil or grease (Hair drier will melt the grease quickly) the area between the sight protector & the sight band.
Then with a strong nylon cord (Free from Home Depot or Lowe's) or thin rope wrapped around a wood dowel & pull it off! The wood block method works very well also! Have someone strong hold the rifle firmly or use a padded vise, as you must push it off from both sides!

Once it's off, I usually spring the sight protector a bit wider so it comes on & off more easily. I'll also break the sharp edges with a file & sand paper & reblue it.
I shoot my rifles & would rather have a few minor scratch's then a bent front blade. After all it is a military rifle!

Good Luck in any event,
broom