Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Parts For Sale or Trade > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2015, 04:21 PM

Default WTS: Original & Correct IBM w/ ID'ed Vet Bringback Grouping

Grouping is SPF, thanks!

For sale is an original as-issued IBM carbine from October 1943 as well as a grouping of items related to the man who carried it during WWII, a vet from the 806th Tank Destroyers. This comes from a member who posted it a few years ago. It's time to move it on.

The original thread can be seen here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....ighlight=aj100

Rifle: This is an original and unmolested IBM carbine complete with highwood stock, rear flip sight, Type 1 barrel band, flat bolt, and all other expected early features. Every part is correctly coded and has matching finish/patina. It comes with an original C-tip sling, oiler, and IBM magazine. There are a few minor issues with the rifle: 1) there is a hairline crack along the grain at the high wood part of the stock but it is stable and not spreading, 2) the muzzle reading is 3 so yes it has been fired but the bore is otherwise good and it has lots of life left, 3) the metal/wood finish shows some wear but nothing really bad and no rust/corrosion, and 4) the hammer was made by Underwood. Regarding the Underwood hammer, Underwood supplied hammers to IBM on 11/5/43 so it is documented that IBM carbines can and do have U hammers; however, the reference books show this carbine being made a couple weeks before that first Underwood delivery. So either this rifle took a bit longer to complete in the middle of WWII (my assumption) or the hammer was changed in the field or after the war. This gun was in the same family from the time it was issued until I got it and that family says the hammer is original to the gun. I believe them, and they have provided a signed document swearing that nothing was changed on the rifle.

Documentation: Also included is a packet of information about the returning 806th TD vet, a man from Pittsburgh, PA. It includes all of his available service records, copies of period pictures of him in uniform and with his tank destroyer, and a signed document from his son describing the rifle. I have blacked out the vet's name in the pictures only to protect the family's privacy, but the original documents the winner will receive are unmolested with full name. The vet's family is okay with the winner having this information so I will pass it along intact. The best part is an incredibly detailed summary of the 806th and it's activities. This typed history contains amazing information about the unit from its inception until it was disbanded. Finally, you will get a Tank Destroyer's patch.

Bring Backs: Last part of the lot is a group of items brought back from the Pacific. Included are a signed Japanese prayer flag (very dirty with age), unidentified and unique Japanese personal effects (see pictures as these are really amazing, especially the tiny carved figures), and a bamboo mat made for the vet in Luzon and commemorating his time with the 806th there. The mat is fragile and has some damage but it's still readable.

Terms: This grouping will require a C&R or better FFL for shipment. Payment can be made by US postal money order, checks with a hold of length to be determined, or online via PP (gift or 3.5% extra for fees). Any questions, please ask. Posted elsewhere so first commitment to buy gets it.

Price: $1800 shipped. Price is firm. I'm not making anything on this and I believe it's worth more but at this point I'm just looking to find it a new home.

There are 53 detailed pictures at this link: http://s1006.photobucket.com/user/th.../IBM%20Carbine

Last edited by thebearpack; 06-01-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-31-2015, 04:49 PM

Nice historical WWII grouping and well worth the asking price.

Good luck with your sale.