Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2015, 10:38 AM

Did somebody mention my afghan???

Actually, years ago, I had the reputation of always putting down good stuff at gunshows - so much I got quite a "following". I guess my luck has changed.

I still keep up with the "regular" libraries, too - my home library:

Now you know why my wife just rolls her eyes when I mention taking up a new "collecting" hobby!
Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 AM

That's a nice rifle, what year barrel and receiver? I guess if that's the yard stick for my first 1903, I'm either going to be looking for a very long time or spend a whole lot more than I anticipated. And that was a gun show find?
Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 PM

No, I learned about it on another forum. The buttstock had an Indian carved on it and I thought it was "ruined" and got it for a very good price. When I received the rifle and the book, I found that the rifle had been owned by a well-known Montana pioneer who was the operating manager at the Anaconda Mines. He liked to do woodcarving, so the Indian was part of the story. As I recall, I paid $850 about 9 years ago.

Turned out there was a story there and I wrote it up for a gun magazine.

Here's the actual article:

Old 07-22-2015, 03:39 PM

Rick
Is the article on the John Gillie rifle available on line?
Looks like a good read.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickax View Post
Rick
Is the article on the John Gillie rifle available on line?
Looks like a good read.
Its a fascinating read! I highly recommend it. Hopefully Rick will post a link for everyone.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:03 PM

Don't have a link to my knowledge. If anyone wants to email me at rrsbls[at]msn.com I can email a copy to you.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:02 AM

My advice is to get a so-called "mixmaster" in decent shape and at a reasonable price and then resist the urge to make it correct. Instead, if you like it, put the money towards another rifle, such as an 03A3 if you got an 03 or vice versa. Everybody's collection should have at least one honest arsenal rebuild least they become extinct.

PS - since you already own Garands you might find the 03A3 with its rear mounted peep sight a more familiar configuration for starting out.

Last edited by S99VG; 07-24-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
Did somebody mention my afghan???

Actually, years ago, I had the reputation of always putting down good stuff at gunshows - so much I got quite a "following". I guess my luck has changed.

I still keep up with the "regular" libraries, too - my home library:

Now you know why my wife just rolls her eyes when I mention taking up a new "collecting" hobby!
That looks like the downstairs. At both homes. Our dogs like BJ's brand dog biscuits. It's a good thing because the boxes are just right for moving books in. There are about 100 boxes in the basement waiting to be unpacked. Dad always was reading and I follow in that habit. He did have a mean streak though. He'd buy me books in German or Russian if I asked him the wrong question.